38.

The man that rallied everyone's attention was William Wilshire, Felicia's cousin- and the reason he had garnered so much attention was that the King and Queen had decided that he would be the pretend-Prince at the ball. 

Amara's blood boiled as she took in the stranger. His dark hair and tall figure was the reason they'd chosen him. He, in no way, looked like Prince Damien. 

According to her, they should've put all their resources into finding the Crown Prince but no one seemed to want to do that. 

'It's a pleasure to meet you, Lady Amara,' He smiled at her. 

He doesn't look like Damien at all

There were people out there at work, trying to find Prince Damien but when she sat down to do anything, she felt like she was letting him down. 

'Likewise,' she spoke, curtly, keeping her face from morphing into a scowl. 

He was about seven years older than Damien and had a very crooked nose. His jaws were slightly rounded unlike the Prince's which were taut and sharp. William's eyes matched Felicia's- a shade of dark brown. He was mildly tanned, another feature that differentiated him from her Prince. 

She didn't want to hate William but he gave her no choice. He could've said no to the Royal couple- the Gods knew she wanted to. 

What shocked her the most was that it was Rowan's idea, his justification being that it that announcing such a piece of news would hurt people's trust in the monarchy. Also, the event was something their subjects looked forward to every year. He suggested that if necessary the war must be declared after it. 

She was furious with everyone present in the throne room.

If she were missing, Damien would do anything to find her; she felt like she should do the same. 

Sadly, she had no power in the castle because she and the prince were bound only by courtship and not by 'proper' engagement. The only thing she needed to provide as evidence was a ring given to her by Damien. Unfortunately, for her, she couldn't. 

Bloody politics! 

The ministers were apprehensive when she was allowed to be a part of their plans- it was clear as day that they didn't want her there. 

Phoebe hadn't felt anything when Amara had dragged her to Damien's study. The Shalore had told her that she felt no magic, not even a hint of it. 

Amara wanted to find the secrets that hid in the castle. Her gaze was fixed on the Royal couple who were deeply engrossed in the intricacies of the celebrations the following day. What could they have stolen? She refused to believe that the couple did not know what they had taken from the Demon King. 

What could possibly be more important than Damien's life?

In her mind, her hands here pressed against her forehead as she thought hard. 

One thing was for sure, she had to know more and the fastest way to do that was to summon her mother- who had sensed the arrival of a strange magic way before she had- that would mean no magic for at least a day. Phoebe needed a week but Amara did not have that kind of time. Besides, her mother had told her that she was the strongest Octavian- that had to mean something.

Amara wanted to bury her head in her hands and scream. There were so many questions and no answers. 

She did not want to lose Damien. 

What the hell does the Demon King want?

The beginning was somewhere there in the castle- it was something that stayed undisputed in her mind.