53.

The First Battalion slithered through the night. They were fierce warriors on horseback ventured into the darkness and as they moved, all the sounds of the night were silenced.

'Frisir,' one of the warriors halted, sniffing the air. 'I smell fire.'

The First Warrior glanced at the Tracovian fort. Why would anyone spend their night outside? Tracovia was a safe province, even for the homeless. Furrowing her brows, she ordered one of her warriors to climb a tree and see if she could see any smoke rising from the woods.

There was no trace of it for miles. 

Felicia trusted her battalion. Without a doubt, if her warriors told her something was burning, then it had to be. 

She ordered her warriors to pursue it.

Within half an hour, all of them came back and informed her that they had located the Chosen Heir. 

She was with another man.

Felicia's rage knew no bounds but she willed it behind a mask of indifference. Amara ran away with some man! How scandalous!

The First Battalion surrounded them, tuning themselves with the darkness that prevailed. 

'It must have been really hard,' Amara whispered sympathetically as she offered him a small smile, 'to leave everything behind.' 

'It was... it still is.' The man's voice was strange.

Felicia found herself unable to recognise it. She watched as Amara drew her knees closer to her chest and stared at the fire.

'I chose to leave,' He lowered his head in shame, 'I chose to run away. I knew I had to do something after I leant the truth. I couldn't stand to bear it in silence.' He shook his head, 'I could have stayed and fought but I knew that no one would understand.' He exhaled, 'I didn't have any other option. They would kill me if I raised my voice against Queen Seyanora.'

'I don't think I'll ever understand what you're going through, Raphael,' Amara admitted, 'But what you've done for us, for Prince Damien and our Kingdoms, I promise you, I'll never let your sacrifice go in vain.'

'Thank you, Amara.'

Felicia was confused. She had never heard of any Raphael. Was he a Dithrai spy? And if so why was he talking about the Demon Queen? How the hell had he helped Damien?

None of it made any sense to her.

One of her warriors signalled her from her hiding spot.

Felicia's blood ran cold when she recognized it. The first signal taught to all warriors. 

Demon.

Raphael was a demon.

Felicia raised her hand signalling her warriors to prepare. As soon her hand became a fist, the warriors jumped out of their hiding place and commenced their attack.

Raphael sprung into action, struggling to fight against the warrior that was clutching his neck.

'Step back!' Amara ordered. With a wave of her hand, she sent them flying away from him.

Felicia snarled. 'You'll protect a demon?'

The Chosen Heir stood protectively in front of the demon who was gasping for breath as he struggled to rise. Her green eyes were dark as a look of pure rage shone on her face. 'For as long as he is on Dithrai lands, he is under my protection.'

Raphael's eyes were wide with disbelief. He cursed himself for drowning in his emotions so much that he failed to notice that they were surrounded but at the same time, he felt hopeful. Amara had chosen to protect him.