37.

Prince Damien drifted toward consciousness feeling dazed and weak. He opened his eyes to find plain darkness ahead. Craning his neck, he looked over his shoulder. The same loomed behind him. 

His joints ached. 

He tried to rotate his shoulders but they felt like dead weights and the sharp distinctive sound of metal striking came as a shock to him.

It echoed in the darkness. 

Trying to remember how he got there wasn't difficult.

He didn't know how much time had passed but he did know that his parents would've realised that he was missing. Hopefully, Amara would realise that he didn't mean those words.

Tears welled in his eyes. Cursing silently, he tried to draw his hand to his face to wipe the tears but the chains holding onto his wrists weren't long enough.

He'd let everyone down. His people, his parents... Amara, his dead brother and his wife.

A loud squeak broke the chain of his thoughts. His head snapped in the direction.

A figure loomed over him and he didn't need the light to recognise her.

Queen Seyanora. 

The Queen of Demons.

'Did I catch you at the wrong time?'

He couldn't see her face but the icy tone made him want to shudder. Not wanting to share his fear with her, he kept a straight face and stared at her, blankly.

She saw right through him, 'Oh please, like you weren't crying like a baby a few moments ago.'

She walked to his side and kicked his stomach. The young prince tried not to flinch.

'It has come to my attention that your subjects don't know your missing. You know what I make of that?'

Damien's face contorted with bottled rage. He wanted to spit on her face.

'Queen Seyanora, apologies for the interruption,' another figure loomed behind her. He made him out to be a warrior.

'What is it?' she barked, clearly unhappy with the interruption.

The figure flinched at her tone before bowing, 'His Royal Highness, the King urgently requests your presence.'

Her nostrils flared before she muttered to herself, 'I suppose that conversation is long overdue.' she turned her attention to her captive, 'We'll meet again, my favourite prisoner.'

As her footsteps receded, his bravado crumpled. His head drooped lifelessly, as he thought about the new piece of information he had received. His parents hadn't made it public yet but there was something else that bothered him. It was what she mumbled to herself, something about a conversation with the King and what the hell was so urgent that the King summoned her during interrogation.

We're his parents declaring a war against the demon-kind?

It had to be that.

But deep down, he knew it was something different.

As Queen Seyanora walked through the corridors, the pent up rage began to bubble up. Her gait was straight, fast and strong. The footsteps of the warrior despite the heavy golden armour were not heard.

The doors to the throne room opened on their own when she waved a hand.

The King was there talking to the General. Their conversation halted when they saw her approach.

'Leave us,' the King ordered.

The general bowed to the King, then to the Queen and walked out, leaving the two monarchs alone in the gigantic hallway.

The blood-red curtains were drawn to allow no light to seep through. Demons were the creatures of darkness and in darkness they thrived.

The King looked very old despite having no grey hair. Wrinkles marred his skin. The ruby-red cape he wore swept over the golden floor when he stood. 'What is the meaning of this?' He barked as he threw something at her feet. Rage contorted his features making him look fierce.

The Queen did not bend to look down at what it was. She knew what it was already.

It was the scroll that they had received from the Dithrai King.

'You used the Royal Seal without my permission, Seyanora.' He stalked toward her calmly but authoritatively.

'I am the Queen of the Demons. I don't need your permission to use the Royal Seal.'

His nostrils flared as he gritted his teeth, struggling to keep his head. 'Is it true? Did you capture the Dithrai Prince?'

'Yes.'

He pinched his nose in frustration. 'I will have him escorted back at once.'

Those words ended the Queen's patience. 'You coward!' she exclaimed. Her body was quivering with fury enough to burn their fortress down.

'I am your King, Seyanora!' His glared at her.

She seethed, 'But you don't act like one!'

'This is treason, Seyanora. It's not too late to step back. I will forgive you.'

'Forgive me?' she laughed madly. 'You will forgive me?'

The King stared at his wife calmly. Her mental health was rapidly deteriorating. It was not the first time he was facing her tantrums. 'I will.'

Her laughter ended abruptly and transformed into trembling words of anger and humiliation, 'You committed treason when you did nothing to avenge our son.'

'What our son did was wrong!'

'He made a mistake!'

'He wiped out a clan, Seyanora! That's hardly a mistake!'

Tears began to form in her eyes, 'He did it for you.'

The King shook his head. 'And that is what hurts me the most, Seyanora.'

'Is this about your sister?' She screamed throwing her hands in the air and taking threatening steps toward him, 'do you think our son should remain dead because she's dead?'

All the King could do is give her a hard glare.

'It wasn't his fault that she married an Octavian!'

'That is enough!' the King's breath was short and heavy. His tolerance had worn out. 'I will have the Prince escorted back.'

He gazed down at his deranged wife.

She was looking at her feet. He could see the tears streaming down her cheeks.

Feeling guilty, he stepped toward her, 'Seyanora...'

Her head snapped up.

Her eyes were glowing and they were red. She snarled like a primitive demon. Her face turned grotesque as fury took over, 'I wish you hadn't pushed me to do this.'

He never recovered from those words.

He stumbled back as she thrust her hand into his chest.

The Demon King felt her claws around his heart. Through his blurry eyes, he saw her cruel smile. She leaned down close to him and whispered in his ear, 'Soon, I will resurrect our son and he'll lead us to glory. You can rest in peace knowing your beloved Kingdom is in safe hands.'

And then, she crushed his heart.