14.

He shut it loudly and glared at her. 'Where did you get it?' She wasn't supposed to have it. If she was stealing from them, she deserved to be punished for it. He didn't really care about the feelings he had for her. He would gladly toss it in the trash. She had already betrayed him.

'Did you steal it?!' He asked, taking a threatening step toward her. She stepped away, scared, 'Your Highness, I-I-'

She was stammering. He hated the hesitation. It drove him to the conclusion that she had stolen it.

'Answer me!'

'Her Majesty, the Queen gave it to me,' her voice was small.

He couldn't believe it. His mother?!

Why would she give this sacred book to her? He snorted as he glared at Amara, 'This better not be a lie.' He warned.

To his utter shock, she looked at him in the eyes, 'I'm not a liar, Prince Damien.'

He seemed to have hit a nerve. He almost felt guilty for hurting her. Almost. If Amara was telling the truth, then he was mad. He was mad at his mother for giving her the book. He growled in frustration. He tucked his book under his arm. He tried to ignore its burning presence as he walked away. He tried to fight the urge to open the book and start reading it. He didn't want to think about his brother. It would suck him into a dark abyss and he would find himself drowning it. 

He had to confront his mother. He walked to her room, trying to contain his anger as he warrior outside her door went inside to announce her son's arrival. 

His mother smiled at him when he entered. He didn't bother smiling back. It had been a while. She seemed to have noticed the book tucked underneath his arm. Her smile fell as he showed it to her. 'Explain yourself, mother,' the Prince tried not to give away his state of mind. He slammed the book on the tea table. He carefully studied his mother as she stared at the book. Her thin face had lost all colour. 

There was a reason no one in the household never talked about the older Prince. The one who died. A horrible, horrible death. It was the accident that took away her brother's eyes and her happiness. Her mouth was dry. Under her son's cold gaze, her heart crumpled. She understood he felt betrayed. She cursed herself. However, she tried to keep everything under the calm facade. 'I don't have to explain myself to you, son.' 

He narrowed his eyes. 'Mother, Amara had this. She told me that you gave it to her.' He paused, 'Is it true?' 

'Yes, it is.' She found it very hard to look into his eyes as she replied. 

'How could you?!' He snarled, 'It's a sacred book and she's a commoner!' He almost yelled. 

'Do not raise your voice, son!' She glared at me, 'You forget your place!' Her heart ached as she spoke. She turned away from him, trying to cover her pain by mock arrogance. 'You know very well that she's not.' 

'Does Father know?' 

Her blood ran cold. She tried to control herself. In a strained voice, she told him the truth, 'No.' 

'Why?! Why would you do this?' 

'She needed to know all of it. She has to assist you-'

He cut her off. 'I told you, I have nothing to do with her,' his voice was strained. 'Do you not understand? Why did you give her Damon's Dithrayan? Was it because you never considered him your son? Were you glad that he died? That I got the Crown? Are you happy now that-'

She snapped, 'Do you think I look happy!' There were tears in her eyes. All her emotions were leaking through. She could no longer keep her facade. 'Do you think I look happy now, Damien?!' She seethed. Her eyes were red. She looked frail and paler. Tears were running down her cheeks. 

He was taken aback. He had never seen his mother cry. He had always known her to be a composed person. 

He felt extremely guilty. 'Mother-' 

'Listen to me, Damien!' She almost yelled. Her soft and monotonous voice was replaced by shrill and painful one. It felt like a punch to him. She cried into her hands. He just stood there, unable to understand what to do to comfort her. A part of him couldn't even believe it was his mother. She was never the one to show her emotions. 

'I -' She struggled to find words. She sniffed and wiped her tears with her hands. She took a moment to compose herself. She swallowed before speaking, 'Damon's death was horrible. It changed us all... but you,' she looked at him. 

He saw hurt and misery in her eyes. It paralysed him. 

'You,' she continued, 'You changed so much. You pushed everyone away. Drowned in vengeance. I didn't pull you back because I thought you would come back to me when you're done.' Fresh tears rolled down to her cheeks. 'You didn't. Instead, you came back with this curse that you'd never tell me about! I accepted that! I watched you turn into that... that... that thing! I couldn't do anything! You shut me out without any word! I tried all I could! You wouldn't come back to me.' She sank to her feet and wept. 'You wouldn't come back to me.' 

Damien tried to find words that would put her to ease. He wanted to tell her about the curse. The weight would be lifted off his shoulders but he couldn't bear the thought of his mother shunning him for it. If she came to know that that ugly thing was a part of him. It had always been there in the deepest and darkest part that had been locked away. The curse only opened it. Let it bare to the world. 

He bit his lip. He couldn't see his mother in so much pain. 

'I'm so sorry, mother,' He whispered and left.