11.

Amara felt herself floating. 

Everything she saw a was a blur. She saw a camp. It didn't look like a military one. It looked more like a settlement for gypsies. It was surrounded by thick and lush forests. She heard people chatting, children laughing along with the morning sounds of the forest. It was like music. 

One moment it was this, wordlessly beautiful, enchanting, other-worldly place, and the next, it was burning, reeking of death. The wonderful sounds had turned into dying cries for help. She saw death and misery. She squirmed in pain. She wanted to put out the fire. Those happy people didn't deserve to die. 

'Remember, my lovely child,' a soft breath of wind whispered in her ear. It was a wonderful feminine voice. She felt a deep connection with it. She felt so warm and secure. 

Remember what? She asked the voice. 

But the voice didn't reply. 

'Amara?' 
A voice drew her to her consciousness. It was Felicia's. She was confused. Why could she hear the First Warrior's voice? Where was the woman with the comforting voice? What's happening to her?

She sat up before she opened her eyes. Her room was dimly lit. She was thankful for that. She held her head in her hands trying to get rid of the disoriented state of her mind. She pressed the heels of her palms against her eyes, hoping to calm her nerves. 

'It's about time you woke up,' she heard Felicia's voice. 

She looked up and blinked a few times to get rid of the dots in her vision. The First Warrior was in her room, sitting on a chair. She smiled brightly at her, 'Do you want water?' Without waiting for a reply, she took the jug of water from the bedside and poured it in a glass. She handed it to Amara, 'Here you go.' 

Amara reached for it but noticed her hands were shaking. She was embarrassed when Felicia held her hand and gently placed the glass on her bottom lip. Amara gulped it down. 'Thank you,' she forced the words out. Felicia gave her a small smile, 'How do you feel now?' 

'Head hurts,' Amara said. My hands are shaking; my body aches; I feel like I've been to hell.

Felicia sat on the bed. She stared at her hands for some time. It made Amara feel very uncomfortable. The dream was haunting her. The smell of smoke was suffocating her again. She swallowed trying to calm her nerves. The last thing she wanted was to trouble the pregnant Royal who was sitting beside her. 

'Do you remember what happened last night?' 

The beast's face flashed in front of her eyes. Her body began to shake. She clutched the sheets under her palms to keep herself calm. She could hear her heart pounding in her head. Bile rose. She felt her insides churn. 

She felt worse. 

'What h-happened?' She choked out. 

Felicia's eyes snapped to her, 'Amara? Oh Lord, you don't look so good. Lie down.' 

Amara didn't protest. She didn't know if sleep would come to her, but she wanted to direct herself toward that burning village that destroyed her state of mind. She felt something she rarely did. Hate. She could feel it consuming her, like acid on metal; it sizzled as it devoured her. It drove her mad that she didn't know why she felt so strongly for a place she had never even seen before. 

Maybe it was the heart-wrenching screams of the residents that were burned to death. 

Her body shook. 

She could hear faint echoes of Felicia's voice. The words were in incoherent. 

An eternity later, she felt like she was falling into a dark pit. She welcomed it. She felt so peaceful. The darkness made her feel blissful. Her mind was shut down. All those unpleasant thoughts had faded away. She couldn't even reach for them even if she wanted to. They were locked away. She saw it vanishing behind a barrier. 

She couldn't help but smile a smile of relief. 

She could sleep now. 
She could be sane now. 

'She looked terrified, Phoebe,' Felicia whispered. She knew Amara had been knocked out cold but she didn't want to take any chances. 'It's not the right thing. We're not doing the right thing. She must know, Phoebe. She must.' 

Phoebe's cold demeanour shifted. She could understand why her friend was worried. She also understood that it was an effect of the pregnancy. Felicia was always the one who kept her nerves. The sorceress placed a hand on her shoulder and looked at their future Queen, 'You know very well why we can't, Felicia.' 

'You poor little thing,' Felicia took Amara's hand in hers as she sniffed. Amara didn't respond. She lay on her bed, almost lifeless. 'It's not fair, Phoebe. It's not fair.' Felicia began to cry. Phoebe knew better than to keep her there. The stress wasn't good for the baby. Phoebe helped her up, 'I know, Felicia but I believe in her,' it wasn't entirely true but she knew it would help Felicia calm down, 'Don't you?' 

Felicia stayed quiet for some time. Phoebe took the opportunity to guide her to her room but not before instructing the maids to look after Amara. 

Halfway, they ran into Jeremiah. He looked worn-out too. The entire situation had taken the castle by storm. Once his eyes caught the tear-stained face of his wife, he walked to her and engulfed her in his arms in an attempt to provide her comfort. He looked thankfully at Phoebe before he turned back to his wife and whispered comforting words in her ears while guiding her to their room. 

Phoebe stood there for some time before letting out a sigh of sorrow and left to find her husband, The Second-In-Command, Lord Tyhane. He was in the dungeons keeping a watch on the Crown Prince.