69.

Felica had been raised in the castle so she knew how the nobility behaved when they were subtly avoiding someone. 

She was being avoided

As the Frisir marched toward the chamber where the guests were residing, she felt a hush envelop her. There was something about the way the warriors, the manservants and the maids averted their eyes when she walked past them. Usually, they would lower their eyes as a sign of respect. However, that was no longer felt by her. Instead, their gazes made her feel lonely. 

The feeling evaporated when Alistair's face mooned into a bright smile as he rushed to hug her. 'I missed you!' 

She held him close, filling the void in her chest. 'I missed you too.' Tears were brimming in her eyes but she fought them. She couldn't cry in front of her son. 

'It is nice to see you, Felicia,' she heard another voice from afar. 

The demons had been given an entire wing in the Tracovian fort. Prince Damien had been generous with the accommodations. 

She looked up to see Raphael. He seemed to look better than how she had seen him. In disguise, his features were concealed but when he standing before her, all cleaned up she had to admit that he was a decent looking man- demon.

She immediately chided herself for the prejudiced chain of thought. Even Alistair was going to be a man someday, she couldn't let herself fall into the pits of hypocrisy if she wanted to raise him. 

'You look nice,' She complimented him with a smile. 

He appeared to be shocked but gathered himself quickly. He mirrored her expression, 'I would say the same but...' He grinned mischievously. 

Being back had caused her more misery than relief. It had to have appeared on her face in the form of wrinkles. She chuckled humorlessly, 'I feel as though I'm ageing faster.' 

His smile vanished. 'What happened?' 

She waved him off, not wanting to talk about it. 

'You've got to see this!' Alistair interrupted her. She allowed the little boy to drag her toward a grand lectus. He made her sit on it and spun on his heels. The confusion on her face turned into awe when she spotted the easel. He disappeared behind it. 

Felicia was flattered. 'Y-you're going to paint me?' 

The little boy's head poked away from the canvas, 'Yes!' He replied cheerfully before tending to his canvas. 

'I didn't know you could paint.' She looked at Raphael, 'Since when?'

The demon shrugged and gestured toward the tall paintings of the Dithrai King and Queen lining the wall. 'He was fascinated by it so I asked around for these.' He beamed, 'I must admit your people are quite fast.' He scratched the back of his neck with his hand, nervously when he realized that he hadn't answered her questions. 'That was yesterday.' 

She laughed. It was unexpected. For a moment, all the worries were sucked out of her and she was allowed to be in that moment. 

'I've got an idea!' Alistair grinned, showing off his teeth. He sprinted toward Raphael. 

'What-'

He made him sit next to Felicia. Alistair hugged them together, 'Two of my favourite people in the world.'

Her heart warmed. She wanted to cry. His slender arm around her neck secured her. 

Raphael laughed lightly and patted the boy's head, 'Soon, you'll have your little brother too.' 

Alistair pulled away from them. The boy was beaming. Felicia extended her hand toward him to wipe off their tears but he moved away. 'I'm going to finish the painting now! Stay there!' He told the both of them as he wiped his tears with his sleeve. 

When he disappeared behind the easel, Raphael whispered, 'Any updates?'

'On what?' She took the same tone. 

'What's going to happen next? Everything here is amazing but I don't like being kept in the dark. When I ask them for Damien, they tell me that he is in the Capital.' 

'He's here but to keep his abduction a secret the Crown is hiding it.' 

'What about Amara?'

'I'm going to meet her today. Do you want me to ask her something?'

'I'd just like to know what they're planning to do next.' Suddenly, he grew tense. 'I can't stay here forever, you know.' 

Her heart shrivelled up when she heard those words. It was true. She looked at the easel. She could only see the boy's legs. His upper body was hidden behind the canvas. 

They would have to part ways soon. 

'I understand.' 

'I'm done!' 

'Huh? Already?' She was dazed. 

Alistair beckoned them, 'Come, have a look!'

The two adults exchanged glances before they approached the easel. 

It was hardly a masterpiece. There were two figures- one was painted with grey, resembling Felicia's armour while the other was white, being Rapahel's tunic. There was a cream colour in the background which was supposed to represent the lectus. 

In her lifetime, Felicia had seen the work of the greatest artists and had witnessed their dedication to their art. They were fascinating. However, the swell of emotions that hit her when she the haphazardly painted canvas made her want to hug it. She couldn't do that since it would ruin it, so she embraced the little boy. 'It's lovely.' 

'You should see how I painted Raphael!'

'He's painted you before?' Felicia looked at the former General.

'Yes.'

Alistair wriggled out of her hold. 'Wait! I'll show you!' And sprinted out of the room. 

Felicia sniffled and gazed at the canvas. She realized something- the subjects in the painting were very close to each other- even if they were merely stick figures. 

She knew that Raphael and Alistair were close but this...

'I swear I look better in this one,' a soft chuckle came from beside her. Her heart flipped. She tried to smile but her mind was reeling. 

What if Alistair considered Raphael his father? That would be a disaster! How would she face Jeremiah! How would she explain everything to him! 

If things weren't bad before, they were growing worse. 

Everything was spiralling out of control. 

'Hey, are you alright?'

She flinched unable to meet his eyes. 'I'm fine.' 

He knew she was lying. Before he could ask her what was bothering her, Alistair sprinted inside, pressing many canvases to his chest, 'I'm back, mother!'