21.

While planning his revenge, Prince Damien had done a lot to research, studying the ways of the demons. He had noted each and every conquest of theirs before and after his brother was killed. 

He had met Amara before that incident and if she had magic in her, she belonged to the sole clan that was destroyed. 

He looked at the Queen, 'Mother, a word.' 

She complied. She looked at the other Royals, 'Excuse us, gentlemen.' She motioned her to follow him. As they walked away from the scene, the Prince couldn't keep his mind straight. Amara was the only one from the clan to survive. He couldn't imagine what she would go through. He didn't want him to be right. 

'What is it, son?' She asked him when she left they were far enough. 

He didn't know how to say it. He was fumbling for words. 'What do we know of the Octavian clan?' 

She frowned, 'Why would-' She stopped herself. Her eyes widened as she understood her son's implication. 'You believe she is one of them?' 

He nodded. 'I don't see otherwise. Phoebe told me the magic was powerful. Octavians were very powerful.' 

'We don't know how they were killed.' 

The Prince knew that. He had found it strange that the most powerful clan had been burned to death and there was nothing about it. They had assumed all of them had died in the fire. He didn't really care about her lineage. He would have her even without one. He just wanted her to open her eyes and to be herself again. He promised himself that he would cherish her. He wouldn't hide behind the wall he had built. He was going to let her in and if she wanted to leave, he would let her but he wasn't going to stop himself from trying anymore. 

'That would explain why the warlocks and the witches I hired were fooled,' The Queen drew him out of his thoughts. 'The demons needed to destroy the Octavians before they could attack us,' She continued. He understood. The Octavians were obliged to protect the heirs of the Dithrai kingdom. It was an ancient tradition. 

He looked at his mother. He couldn't help but think about her breakdown. He still hadn't apologized for that. She was still there, supporting him. He thought about it for some time. He didn't want her to feel that he was isolating himself from her. She mattered to him and he knew that he couldn't say just say it. He needed to prove it. And there was only one way of doing that. 

'Mother,' he stopped suddenly, his mind made. She stopped too, looking curiously at her son, 'Yes?' 

'I need to tell you something.' His heart thumped against his chest. There was no going back now. He needed to tell her. 

And he did.