44.

Amara's heart paced erratically as she scurried away. Her hand was placed over her chest as she tried to soothe her core. There's nothing there. Those dead eyes flashed in her mind. There was something foreign about them... something that she could not express. The feeling gnawed at her mind, unpleasantly seeking her attention. 

His eyes had never looked so hostile before.

'Stop it!' She hissed, irritated with her thoughts.

Her eyes took in the familiar corridor with great apprehensiveness- as if someone was coming for her. No matter how much she tried, she could not reason with herself. Soon, her padded footsteps turned into long strides as she ran toward Phoebe's lab, hoping to find some peace there. 

When she found herself in front of the plain door. She thought to herself, Why do I think he could see me? It was evident that Sir Rowan was blind. A cold chill went down her spine as she tried to breathe. 

Gritting her teeth, she tried to think of something that would calm her mind. Her mind wandered to the one person she admired. Damien. She shut her eyes and inhaled deeply, thinking about his smiling blue eyes that could put the sparkling ocean waters to shame. It was supposed to be a happy memory but when she touched her cheek, she felt her tears. 

Not for the first time, she wished for his presence. 

Do you miss me as much as I miss you? 

She drew in a deep breath, steadying herself. Dissolving all her thoughts, she pushed the door open.

The dark lab greeted her after the plain door.

Out of practice she raised her hand to light the torches with a flick of her hand- but caught herself before she could commit the blunder. She had been saving her magic for this very moment. It would be a shame if she spent it just for fire.

She felt the darkness for a box of matches. Having found it, she lit the fire.

Once the source of illumination was fixed, she began to look for the book and the ingredients that the Supreme Sorceress had used to summon her mother.

'Please work,' she whispered to the cauldron.

After going through the incantations once, she began to chant.

It seemed as strenuous as the first time. Dark spots danced in front of her eyes as the green tendrils emanating from her fingertips dissolved into the vessel. Her muscles were struggling to hold her up. She blinked rapidly to keep herself awake.

The trail of cloud that left the cauldron moulded itself into a feminine figure, Amara was surprised. The last time she had tried to summon her mother, she felt close to death.

All she felt was a little dizzy.

'My child,' the older Octavian greeted her panting daughter with a smile. 'It is nice to see you again.'

'That wasn't so hard,' Amara admitted out loud, glancing at the cauldron.

'I was summoned against my will the last time.'

'Oh.'

'Now tell me, why have you summoned me?' Her mother moved toward her caressing her cheek with her hand. Amara wished she could feel her palm but all she felt was a slight breeze carrying the sweet scent of roses. 

'Mother, I need your help to bring Damien back.'

Her mother looked at her quizzically. With a raised brow, she asked, 'Who is this Damien?'

Amara blushed as she struggled to explain to her mother just how much the blue-eyed Prince meant to her. 'Prince Damien is the Crown Prince of the Dithrai Kingdom,' She paused and casually slipped, 'And also m-my love.'