29.

A few days had passed since the eventful morning. Amara stood on her feet taking the aid of the walking stick to even her weight out. Even after looking at herself in the mirror umpteen times, she always found a small fault which she would otherwise dub insignificant. She was very excited as the Prince promised to take her to the Royal Library. Despite having been there before with the Queen, she was excited. 

She was dressed in a long green top, a few shades lighter than her eyes and black bottoms. Her hair was made into a tight bun. 

Nervous, she glanced at the mirror once again, this time she grudgingly eyed a crease on the lower left of the top. It was insignificant, but to Amara, it became a huge deal. 

With the sturdy walking stick in on hard, to support her weight, she tried to smother the crease with her other. 

She was so into it that a knock on the door startled her and she almost lost her balance. One of the stitches on her stomach made itself known to her. She tried to hide her pain knowing that at any indication, the Prince would postpone their 'courtship meetings', as he called it. 

It posed another question to her. A courtship worked both ways but she didn't know anything about the Prince's likes and dislikes while he somehow managed to do everything perfectly. It made her anxious. 

'Amara?'

It was Phoebe's voice. 

Confused, Amara slowly made her way toward the door to open it. 'Supreme Sorceress, it's nice to see you.'

The sorceress looked grand as ever, 'A moment of your time?'

'Yes. Please come in.'

She did so without any protest. 

'Have a seat.'

She shook her head, 'I don't mean to take much of your time. I am aware of your courtship-' At the word courtship, Amara blushed profusely, '-I came to inform you that I will help you harness your power.'

Amara was overjoyed. Her powers had been dormant ever since that incident. Though she had never tried to summon it after that, she was glad. 'It would be an honour to have you as my teacher.'

At this, Phoebe smiled, 'Perfect. I will see myself out.'

'But where will you teach me?' The former was concerned about the residents of the castle. She did not want to cause inconvenience and fear like she had the last time, even though she had no recollection of having the will to destroy the castle. It was something Prince Damien told her. 

'Would you still like to continue your job as here as the governess?'

'I would.'

'Then it's settled. I will come to you at the end of the sessions. You will start tomorrow.'

Before Amara could express her gratitude, she disappeared into thin air which racked Amara's brain. 

Another knock at the door almost made her jump. She frowned asking herself why she so nervous, even though the answer was quite simple and straight. 

She opened it to find a certain handsome prince, the reason for her aforementioned jumpiness, grinning widely. His jet black hair was neatly combed to the side, his pale porcelain skin was as radiant as the full moon. His blue eyes looked as refreshing as the ocean waves coupled with the salty wind. 

'Good evening, my love," He greeted her.

Her cheeks flushed red. She found herself gaping at the divine prince. 

He chuckled as he extended his arm, 'Shall we?"

She nodded as she looped her arm in his and clutched the walking stick tightly, 'Lead the way.'

As they walked, arm in arm, he said, 'I know you've been there before, so I don't really have the element of surprise but I'm not at a total loss either. When we get there, I'll show you something that is close to my heart.' 

It didn't matter to Amara if she'd already been there before. She liked spending time with the Prince, not because he was the Prince and she was just a commoner but because he saw her as she was, accepted her as she was. She didn't have to pretend to be an aristocrat or anything different. 

'I look forward to finding out what that is.' 

He beamed. 

Despite having been there before, Amara was left breathless when she saw it again. It looked exactly the way it had when she had been summoned by the Queen. Golden light from the chandelier splayed all over the windowless hall. It was warmer than the rest of the castle and she took it as a blessing. The coats she wore were making her feet ache, not that she would ever admit it to him. 

Ancient books, wooden figurines, marble statues, artefacts from various epochs welcomed her. 

'It is beautiful, isn't it?' 

She nodded only then had she realized that she had left the Prince at the doorway and stepped inside, entranced by the library. She smiled apologetically at him. 

He took no offence. Instead, he gestured her to follow him, 'Come with me.'

They stopped near a shelf in the far corner of the room. Black leather-bound books of all sizes took up multiple shelves. She had already guessed who they were. The Dithrayan penned by the Prince's ancestors. 

He touched the spines of the books as he walked in deeper. 

Past the shelves, was a little pedestal which was encased in glass. 

'That's the one I wanted to show you,' he looked over his shoulder and extended his arm for her to take it. She obliged, sensing a little brokenness in his tone. 

When she eyed it, she gasped. 

It was a painting. 

'May I present to you, Prince Damon and his wife, Princess Imelda.' 

Amara stepped closer, studying the portrait. There was no resembled between the brothers except the stunning blue eyes that the inherited from their father. He had long brown hair that was pulled into a pony. He was wearing a navy blue overcoat over a white shirt. On a majestic chair, right in front of him, his wife sat facing the portrait wearing a peach gown. She was beyond beautiful. Her eyes were big, almost doe-like. Her hair was pinned up at the top where a small tiara sat comfortably. 

'Your brother,' Amara said, softly. 

Prince Damien nodded, 'They were the best family anyone could ask for, Amara.' 

She drew herself closer to him, not knowing what to say. She could ask what had happened to them and reach closer to the truth about the curse, but she chose to remain quiet. 

Damien will tell me when the time is right, she told herself. 

He stared at the portrait unblinkingly for some time before he turned away and pointed in another direction, 'That's the bond chalice.'

She matched his gaze. On a similar pedestal encased by glass, was the silver chalice that had bonded them for life.  

'I met you on their wedding day.'

This was something she didn't know before. 'The day we shared the chalice?'

'Yes.'

There was a pause before he continued, 'You know what, Amara?'

'Hmm?'

He leaned closer and kissed her cheek. When his warm lips met her soft skin, her body was electrified. It was as if someone had poured new life into her. She could dance and dance and never stop dancing but at the moment, she turned away and blushed. 

'I am glad we met and I apologize for being a jerk. I thought I was protecting you but I only made you vulnerable. I am truly sorry.'

She placed her hand on his cheek and met his eyes. Her heart warmed at his words. It made her think about what she had done to deserve a man like him. 'Apology accepted.'

He smiled and pulled her into a hug, 'They would've adored you, Amara, as I do.'