43.

When General Raphael went to see Prince Damien again with berries and a small pitcher of water, he was horrified by the condition the young man was in. Gone were his tattered clothes, replaced by stark nakedness as he lay quivering on the cold and black marble floor. The General glanced at the balcony from where he had entered the chamber. Outside there brewed an unforgiving hailstorm.

A strong burst of wind entered the chamber and he shuddered despite the layers of clothes he had on. His gaze landed on the quaking body on the floor whose pale skin was white as a sheet and marred with bruises.

Quickly, he snatched the red velvet sheet that covered the Demon Prince's coffin and spread it over the shivering body. He was met with cold blue eyes that registered hostility but as the Prince recognized him, he received a grateful look.

'Raphael,' he was greeted through the Prince's chattering teeth as he tried to sit up.

'I brought you some berries,' the General retrieved a pouch from under his clothes. 'And some warm water.' He tried to distract himself from the hatred that filled him when he saw the Queen's cruelty toward the Dithrai Prince. She kept him alive... barely, no doubt to use him as a shield if anything went wrong.

'W-water.'

'Of course,' Raphael nodded and opened the pitcher. He noticed the delight on the Prince's face when he saw the steam rise from the opening. Tipping the pitcher over the Prince's mouth, he watched as he downed it quickly, desperate to get some heat to warm to his body. The General closed it and graciously handed the pitcher to him.

Prince Damien took it and pressed it against his bare chest before enclosing it with the velvet sheet. It felt nice to feel a little warmth.

'Five days hence, the Demon Army will capture Tracovia,' Raphael informed. He paused to see if the Prince was listening to him. Satisfied to see the cold blue eyes on him, he continued, 'We march tonight through the hailstorm.'

They knew what that meant. Prince Damien will be at the mercy of the Demon Queen. He pressed the pitcher close to his chest trying to absorb the warmth knowing that after the moment the General left, he would have to embrace the unrelenting cold again.

'Is there any way I can let anyone know about your whereabouts?'

It was a starling question. The Prince's head snapped up and he regarded him strangely. He had not expected kindness at such lengths and certainly not from a demon.

'W-why?'

The answer that brewed in the General's mind filled his chest with dread. Raphael did not like the answer but it was the truth and in his mind, the Prince deserved to know. 'The Queen murdered my King and lied about it.'

When he looked up, there was a strange emotion swirling in the sapphire orbs. Respect. Strangely enough, he felt honoured.

'I know she killed him and no matter how much she cries in front of the people, I know the truth and I intend to bring it to light.'

'T-that is why y-you're helping me.'

He nodded, 'That is a part of the reason.'

'What else?'

Raphael found himself wondering what the subjects of the Demon Kingdom would think of him. They would probably stone him to death or organize a public beheading. The truth was that he admired the Dithrai Prince. He admired his resilience and courage. It reminded him so much of the Demon King.

'You do not have to tell me if you don't want to.'

A grateful smile made its way to his face before he let it drop and focused on important matters at hand. 'So is there any way I can help you out of here?'

The Prince pursed his lips and remained quiet for a moment. Of course, it would be easy to just run away but the Queen would hunt him down. He could not let Raphael pay with his life for the kindness he had bestowed upon him.

His eyes landed on the dark floor. He saw his reflection. To say he looked disturbing would be a gross understatement. He had lost a lot of weight. Crusted blood was present on his temple. His eyes looked dull and lifeless. To be honest, a part of him was glad that Amara wasn't there to witness his condition. It would break her heart- if it was not broken already.

'Prince Damien?'

'There is a way,' his words were a whisper. Despite his kindness toward him, Damien wasn't comfortable with Raphael knowing her name. It could be an elaborate ploy by the Queen even though it was highly unlikely. However, if he was true, he needed to let them know that he was fighting to stay alive.

'There's a maiden. She has forest green eyes that gleam in the dark like emeralds and-' he swallowed to remember her beautiful face. 'And a dark hair that could put the night sky to shame. She wields magic that cannot be compared.' He drew in a deep breath which caused him to wince because the cold breath seemed to have seared his brain. 'When you find her, tell her, I didn't mean a thing I said.'

Raphael was confused for the Prince was speaking in riddles.

'Does the maiden have a name?' Because of course, it would be easier to find the maiden if had a name. He could list about ten of them of the same description at the moment.

Prince Damien smiled to himself as if keeping a secret to himself, 'You'll know when you see her, Raphael. Trust me, you'll know.' Then his eyes landed on him, 'Just remember my words.'