46.

Being a Royal wasn't easy. 

Chosen Heir Amara wondered how Prince Damien put up with it.

As she lacked knowledge in many necessary fields, her head was being pounded with information. The King taught her the working of the espionage and the revenue system; under the Queen, she learnt politics, history and etiquette.  The Supreme Sorceress taught her combat magic and she was to learn the art of warfare under the First Warrior. 

Amara's head was heavy as she walked toward the training grounds. It was one of those parts of the castle she had never been to. 

Despite her initial fatigue, she was excited for she was going to meet the  First Battalion which was led by the Frisir. They were the legendary group of warriors whose skills could not be surpassed by any male or female alive. They were the best of the best. Another fact that set them apart was that the battalion consisted only of women. 

When she reached the grounds, she was surprised to see that it was not covered with snow, the reason was that warriors took turns to shovel the snow. 

Her nerves jingled as she took in the sight. Warriors were scattered throughout the entire field pushing themselves to the edge with the weapons they wielded. 

It was a stunning sight. 

'Princess Amara!' Felicia's voice drew her attention. 

Princess

She resisted the urge to say,  Oh, please, you need not call me that- because the Queen told her that it would mislead people to believe that she was their friend and not an authority figure.

You are not their friend. You are their leader. They should see you as such or they will not hesitate to pull you down with mindless favours. 

The Frisir was in full armour and was surrounded by a couple of bulky women. Truth be told, they were a little intimidating. 

'Good evening,' she greeted them with a smile.

The women warriors assembled and went down on their knees, their fists pressed over their heart, 'It is an honour to be in your presence, Princess Amara.'

Outside the walls of the Throne Hall, Amara was betrothed to Damien and that was what made her the Princess. Except for a selected few, no one knew that she was the Chosen Heir. 

'The honour is mine. Please, rise.'

The Queen hadn't said anything against being nice.

Felicia gave Amara a nod before she ordered her battalion to go back to training. 

'Princess, we will start with a simple weapon. I suggest you take up archery.'

Archery? 

'It will train your back and arms to hold a close-combat weapon, like a sword or a long-range weapon, like a javelin. It will also help you with your stance and train your leg muscles.' 

Amara nodded as she followed Felicia into a scaffolding where all the weapons were piled up. She watched as the other woman assessed bows of various shapes and sizes before extending an unadorned one toward her, 'Hold it and tell me what you think of it.'

Having no knowledge of it, she simply took it in her palms. It was a wooden bow that felt very heavy in her hands. 'I-it's alright?' She cringed as soon as her words came out. 

Felicia chuckled, 'You'll get used to it.'

'So, uh,' Amara played with the bowstring by plucking it with her free hand, 'what am I going to do first?'