47.

General Raphael was leading the Demon Army toward Tracovia along with many others of his rank. Through the snow, they marched on fuelled by their rage and sorrow. 

It was the third day of their travel that was only doomed to end in destruction.

If one could stand atop the high terrains and look down below at the snowclad hills, they would see scattered dots across the plain layers of snow. 

That was the Demon Army's camp.

Those were the burrows that they had made protected them from the harsh weather.

The General tossed and turned. The leather armour he wore over his thick coats provided him with enough warmth but he could not rest.

He listened as the fire crackled in the smaller holes that each of them had dug up in their respective snow caves.

His thoughts were a mess. He desperately wanted to stop the troops from fighting a vain battle- but he could not do much. They were grieving for the late King and Queen Seyanora had taken advantage of that.

Even if he were to tell them the truth, they would not believe it. Instead, they would call him a traitor and burn him alive.

Raphael knew he wanted to live.

He also wanted justice for the late King who had died at the hands of his beloved. His Majesty's blood stained the Queen's hands and he was cursed to be the only one who could see it.

His mind went back to the young Prince who was held captive.

Raphael could tell that he was a good ruler- but he did not trust him, which was fine by the Demon General. After his little stunt, he knew he wouldn't trust himself either. He was one of the lucky ones because the Queen hadn't caught him betraying his kind. 

The thought of the consequences sent a chill down his spine.

Death, he shook his head. There'll be a lot of it if I don't do anything

'General Raphael, are you awake?' 

If it hadn't been for the shadow that waited at the entrance of his cave, he wouldn't have noticed him.

It was one of the other Generals. The demon bent down and entered his little air pocket. Raphael sat up when he recognized the General. 

'General Langdon, to what do I owe the pleasure?'

The other General waved his hand dismissively and he removed his gloves and put his palms near the fire. 'Just checking up on everyone.'

'Oh,' General Rapahel knew that wasn't the truth. His mind raced ahead as the words planted seeds of doubt in them. He shifted making sure that his hands were on his sword that was sheathed right next to him. 

If the General tried to make any move on him, he would be prepared.

'We're going to avenge our King,' Langdon smiled sadly. 'He was a good King.'

Just get to the point! 

Raphael schooled his expression and gazed into the flickering fire, 'He was.'

'You know, one of my warriors told me that you were staring at her?'

He tried hard not to cringe at those words. So that's what this is about

If only Prince Damien had been more specific.

He had stared at the warrior for so long only because she had black hair and green eyes. At that point in time, he felt stupid for not asking the Prince about the maiden's lineage. That piece of information could've saved him from situations like these. 

Because of his inattentiveness, he would have to keep an eye out for every green-eyed, black-haired maiden that walked past him, waiting for them to do some kind of magic. 

At least, he knew that they were maidens- that way he didn't have to look at every woman and risk brawls with married men. 

That narrows it down, considerably, doesn't it?

'Raphael?'

The General attempted to look stumped, 'I wasn't.'

'I have many that tell me otherwise.'

He raised his brows at him, 'No, I wasn't.'

Langdon eyed him sceptically while Raphael fought to keep a straight face. They had a long staredown match which picked his nerves before Langdon looked away and eyed the fire, 'You must've been lost in your thoughts.'

'Yes.'

'Very well,' the other General prepared to leave Raphael's snow cave. 'Just keep your thoughts to yourself and do not stare at my warriors.'

Raphael knew that the other General wanted to add a few derogatory words after the mild threat that he had issued. Without waiting for a response, he put on his gloves and crawled outside the cave. 

When he was gone, Raphael let out a deep sigh. 

He wasn't obligated to do anything for the cryptic young Prince but he wanted to. It was his way of going against his manipulative Queen. 

She thinks she has everyone fooled, he thought to himself with a slight smile on his face.

You're not all-powerful, Queen Seyanora.