◍ XXIX. Bracelet

|LEONARDO CLEMENTE|

//Penthouse Suite, Los Cielos. Miami

He clenched his fingers around the pen, subsiding the urge to loosen his tie or more like throwing it away. The suit was sticking to his skin, clogging the air away, the humidity acting as the catalyst. He looked around for the AC remote, the white device resting near the carpet, at the far end of the tea table.

Won't it be unprofessional if he hunched down and picked the remote during a video conference?

Discarding the idea, he decided to focus back as the slide changed to the next. A few minutes passed and he felt his concentration fading away. He groaned inaudibly keeping his stoic face in check but his mind fogged every passing second, making the words difficult to register.

"This is it, gentleman," he announced as soon as his manager finished the monthly presentation. "We'll take the pointers tomorrow, I hope I have the presentation in the mail already?"

The manager nodded. "See you all tomorrow."

Are all his employees visibly relaxed, Was it so hard for them too? He wondered.

Closing his laptop lid, his fingers immediately reached the tie, loosening it and flipping the top buttons open. He crouched down to collect the ac remote and decreased the temperature.

He snapped his head towards the door, knowing who the person other side is, he muttered a come in.

Cruz peeked his head inside, taking a look around the room, then fully pushed open the door and Leo resisted the urge to comment.

"Here" he forwarded the iPad and Leo took it "Your pointers, I'm sure you'll need it"

Leo cocked a brow at him and he gulped "I...I mean you looked zoned out for some time"

Leo grimaced Was it that visible?

"I wasn't" he acted offended but let the man off the hook. The man was far more observant than a normal human being.

Working with Cruz for the last few years, Leonardo was glad he could push his burden on his shoulders, finally, he got a satisfactory assistant in form of Cruz Moretti. The man was observant, realistic, critical thinker but had a big mouth, well he can handle it, No big deal.

"Cassie has some interesting pictures"

Leo frowned but accepted the iPad again, his brows furrowed together as he slides picture after picture, and then stopped on one particular picture which showed Their faces perfectly. It was taken just outside Metanoia, His arm around her waist and them walking out towards his car. Why didn't he spot them before?

His jaw slacked as he glared at the iPad, and snapped his eyes up hearing a notification sound, Cruz quickly muttered an apology pocketing his phone back.

"Don't let media print any of these" He ordered and Cruz collected his device back.

"You know the price, they won't...."

"Arrange for media in Charity Ball, Make sure there is only one representative from each media house. No more" he stood up from his place and walked towards the floor-to-ceiling window, staring at the never-ending ocean which was pitch black, the star twinkling under the moonlight. "Also" he raised his finger "Double check the staff list and ids, I don't want a repeat of Last time"

"But guests will..."

" All those people out there" Leo let a devilish smile "They do every single thing to show off Cruz, even taking a breath is a publicity stunt for them. And allowing media will only shoot our charity collection towards the sky, I'm sure those sly folks will even donate themselves to make headlines and If you're concerned for privacy, well there is hardly any privacy left, Can't you see these Paparazzi following us like stray dogs who tail behind you until we throw them a loft, they'll keep following us where ever we go"

He clenched so hard, that Cruz looked concerned for his jaw to be fractured.

"Senor Clemente, if you're concerned for Miss Joshi, I'm sure the media won't be able to locate her or dig any details. Even their wildest guess will be of her being an American. Her blue eyes and Brown locks don't give out her geographical Location"

"Aren't you keeping your eyes on Aishwarya more than required ?" Leo looked over his shoulder.

"I'm just following your orders, You said to keep an eye on her" Cruz comes to his defense immediately, reminding Leo about his orders.

"Eye on her movements Cruz, not on her"

"Mr. Caveman" Cruz murmured but immediately widened his eyes seeing Leo's eyes in slits, he recoiled back in fear and muttered a quick "Sorry"

"It's past dinner time, Senór Clemente" Cruz checked and informed him.

He hummed "You can go and make sure the speakers are ready for tomorrow"

"I'll do" He nodded "Goodnight" he greeted his boss taking the steps out of his penthouse suite knowing fully well he won't be getting a reply but a silent nod.

Leo exhales turning back to the window, he could make a few lights glimmering from his 64th floor. At the very far end, he can point to a fire, it looks minute and small to him but bright to catch his Attention.

It was in the middle of his resort and Beach House, just more near to Beach house. He wondered if Aishwarya was feeling good or if she is taking her medicines.

A chuckle left him as the memory came back, she muttered "Son of Satan" as soon as the doctor turned his back on her, Her blue eyes dig holes when he handed her the prescription.

Leo had to cover his snickering in the pretense of light coughs. The woman abhorred hospitals and her cursing in her native tongue was just the cherry on top.

"Cherry" he grimaced, feeling the little grumbles from his stomach, he decided to order some dinner. Placing a call to room service he ordered for himself and decided to take a shower, this humidity is making him uncomfortable in these tight-fitting clothes.

He discarded the layers of clothing from him, his white button-down shirt doffed into the pile near his legs when the shrill voice entered his ears, he tried looking around for the source of voice when a bright piece of jewelry got his attention.

A familiar piece.

He bend and took the jewel piece between his fingers, touching the leaf pattern engraved on the platinum, the chain dangling with a lone pearl at the end.

"Aishwarya" He muttered her name, recalling the number of times he have seen this ornament on her wrist. She nervously fidgets with the pearl, or simply untangles the chain and smiles as it drops down her wrist.

The only constant accessory she adorned with every outfit she chooses.

His eyes widened in realization, How much he observes her, every movement she makes or every little expression which crosses her blue eyes. He shook his head as if trying to wave her thoughts away.

He narrowed his eyes on the precious metal, trying to think. He couldn't fathom when, where and How he got possession of the article but whatever. Now he has a reason to see her.

She was supposedly busy the whole day tomorrow, they had plans for the whole day but now he had a way, a reason to see her. The thought itself is enough to lift the corners of his lips, his crooked smile as he kept her piece securely near her phone and wallet.

"You left something of yours with me Aishwarya" He whispered, one last time caressing the bracelet, his eyes immediately shifting to his phone. The screen lit with the incoming notification. A text.

From her.

From A. Joshi - We'll be having a bonfire tonight. Join us...

His eyebrows shot up seeing the words floating on his screen.

From A. Joshi - ....only if you wish to.

Her next text immediately popped and a ghost of a smile took place on his face. Is she inviting him?

He bit the insides of his cheek, trying to contemplate a reply but discarded the thought, he can just go and meet her directly. Why waste time?

The water streams were ready to hit his Face, traveling down his nape to his rippled back and south. He placed both his palms on the wall, letting the water soak him, his breaths heavy under the shower.

He closed his eyes letting his thoughts wander freely, but stuck on one face, the deep blue eyes staring, the brown locks flying all over the place and her lips pouty and....swollen.

Swollen because of him.

Because of them giving into the moment, the daze of getting closer, feeling the touch of one another.

He didn't know what came over, but her cherry lips invited him, stole his Attention now and then, whenever she spoke, he kept staring at her. Her lips.

He wanted to make her stop speaking, her lips were constantly attracting his focus and he was damned if didn't touch her. Feel her lips against his.

He was sure his action would have got a rejoinder from her, knowing her for the past week he knew that. He was sure. So sure.

But like every single time, Aishwarya Joshi acted against all his expectations. She clutched his nape and pulled him back.

Was he surprised? No, he was baffled.

Did he regret it? Never in hell.

He was quick to cover his gasp if any was to leave his throat but kissed her. Kissed her like never before.

And then again. Acting to prove her words right. Kissing her out of the blue. Enjoying the heat which covered her face, her deep breaths tinkling his neck. He enjoyed but dreaded the words. He wasn't sure. What he did, What they did, all of it was new. He never acted on impulse but it was a first.

Another first with Aishwarya Joshi.

Shaking his head to send the water drop flying, he walked out. Quickly dressing. Letting the t-shirt to stick his wet skin. He ruffled his hair with a white towel and threw it to the far end of his dresser, the towel landing an inch or two away from the laundry but he didn't bat an eye and walked directly to his food.

Quickly munching it, he walked to the glass window, his eyes immediately moving towards the little fire. Now he knew who they were.

Grabbing his phone and wallet and then pocketing the bracelet, he locked the door.

The elevator door opened in the lobby, and he walked out. Drawing the attention of the staff who now looked more straight and stiff. He nodded as they greeted him. He makes his way out on the beach, straight to the group of people gathered around the burning fire, the heat enough to protect him from cold beach waves.

His hands were pocketed in his sweats, his lips turning in a small curve as soon as his eyes spotted the same brown waves, now tied in two braids, her back towards him. Her white shrug dangling from one shoulder, leaving the other bare, giving a peek at her olive sleeveless t-shirt.

He walked the distance, standing just behind her. Her hand raised with a bear bottle, she took a sip.

He frowned.

"Aren't you on painkillers ?" the words left his mouth before he could think twice.

And, she choked.

VOTE • COMMENT • SHARE