You/Elizabeth Carruthers - Search

AN: Honestly, just skipped everything but the Katie scenes so everyone might be OOC

"Did you hear, Ms. Carruthers is planning to wed one of the Brown brothers?"

You dropped the dishes as you heard the news. The women turned to look at you in worry as you hurried to pick up the glass with your hands.

"I'm okay. I'll clean up the mess. Don't worry about me."

They ignored your reassurances and helped you clean up the mess that you had made.

"I'm sorry about that, (y/n). I know how you feel about Ms. Carruthers."

You give her a reassuring smile, just wanting to leave.

"No! There's nothing for you to apologize. I might have feelings for her but nothing could ever happen between us. Thank you for helping me out, if you'll excuse me."

You carry the tray of broken glass to the back and finally breakdown in the privacy of the kitchen.

You had been in love with Elizabeth ever since you had met her several years ago. She never paid you any attention and yet you had fallen for her. You always knew that the two of you could never be a thing so it was silly to even cry over the news that you had overheard.

"(y/n)? Is that you?" Grace walks around the kitchen counters and spots you sitting on the bottom step of the stairs. You quickly wipe away your tears but your red eyes give away the fact that you had been crying. "What happened? Are you okay? Why were you crying?"

Grace takes a seat besides you, wrapping her arms around your shoulder to hold you.

"Nothing is wrong."

"You're an awful liar. Why are you crying? I've never seen you cry like this." You let your head rest on her shoulders as you think about what led to you crying your heart out on the stairs. You knew she would find it ridiculous if you told her so you kept quiet. "Come on. You're not like this. It takes a lot to make you cry so who do I have to beat up?"

You can't help but chuckle at her threat. She wasn't a violent person.

"It's really nothing, Grace. I just got a little emotional with something that I overheard."

"And what was it that you heard?"

"I told you, it's nothing."

"I'm not dropping it until you tell me so we could be here all day and night."

With a sigh, you look down at your hands as you start to talk.

"I heard Elizabeth is planning to marry one of the..."

You don't even get to finish talking as she pulls you into an actual hug.

"Oh, (y/n). I'm so sorry. I know how much you liked her."