Forty-nine

Luca Brown

I sat in the waiting room. Alone. There wasn't anybody waiting for family or anything. My body was weak, my heart hurt. Everything hurt.

Suddenly, the doors flew open. I turned my head to the door to see Andre and Kevan.

"Luca." Andre sighed before pulling me up and snatching me int a hug. I didn't pull back, I wrapped my arms around him and stuffed my face into his shoulder.

"I let her go Andre. I let Hazel go." I began sobbing. Her arms wrapped tighter against my chest.

"It's not your fault. What even happened." Kevan poked his head in.

"Elias shot her. And I couldn't save her. I'm sorry Kevan. I'm so fucking sorry." I found myself getting weaker by the second. I felt like fainting, all the thoughts rushing in my head.

Andre sat me down and pulled me back into his arms.

"Do not say that. She'll be fine, and it wasn't your fault." Andre looked over at Kevan. His stitches were much better, but he was obviously still in pain.

"You weren't there. You didn't see what I saw. You don't understand Andre! We were finally happy. I told her I loved her. And now she's in that fucking room doing god knows what! SHE COULD BE DEAD, BECAUSE I WASN'T PAYING ATTENTION TO OUR SURROUNDINGS!" My voice grew louder. All the pain had turned to anger in the span of two seconds.

"Luca, I promi-" Andre tried to comfort me.

"NO, NO PROMISES! I CAN'T DEAL WITH THIS SHIT ANYMORE! IM JUST SITTING HERE WHEN HAZEL COULD BE DYING!" I jumped up from my chair.

"IT'S NOT YOUR FAULT, SHE COULD BE DEAD IF YOU DIDN'T TAKE HER HERE! YOU SAVED HER LUCA, NOT HURT HER!" Andre pulled me back down and looked me in the eyes.

Kevan was quietly sobbing from behind the two of us.

"You don't get to say it's your fault. You DON'T get to beat yourself up over something you had no control over. Did you see Elias? No, I didn't think so. So stop fucking sobbing and get it together." Andre was harsh, but it was pretty good advice.

My eyes were red, and puffy. I sniffled and sank back into my chair.

"What if she's gone." My lip quivered.

"Don't say that. Please, just wait until we hear what the doctor has to say. You're exhausted Luca, close your eyes for a bit." Andre pulled me closer to his body.

"No, I'm not sleeping." I protested and pulled away.

"She told me she loved you." Kevan brought the attention to him. "She thought she was going to die, and she made me tell you she loved you."

"I'm sorry Kevan." I shook my head slightly with tears filling my eyes.

"You didn't do anything." Kevan shook his head.

"That's the problem, I did NOTHING." I was hurt, deeply. Not only am losing the girl I love, Kevan is losing a best friend, all because of me.

"I could've been aware. I could've stopped all this. She ran into my arms way to early. If only I was a moment late, she would've seen Elias and shot him. But instead I fucked everything up." I ran my hands through my hair and slumped over my chair.

"Excuse me? I'm looking for a Mr. Brown." One of the doctors rushed in.

I jumped up from my seat and faced the doctor.

"Is she okay?" I frantically searched his face for any signs of upset.

"She's stable for now. But she's going to be asleep for a while. I think you guys might want to go home." The doctor looked at all three of us.