Prologue 02

Isabella sat on someone's lap like a baby on a mission. In her hand was her teething toy, which she chewed in her mouth while drool fell down from the corners of her mouth.

She wore a winter coat with a beanie. Even though it wasn't winter. The weather was still cold and babies are susceptible to the cold. She wore a raincoat a while ago but it was now placed neatly on top of their luggages.

She babbled nonsensically while her buddy, the one who was letting her sit on his lap, hummed softly like he was listening attentively to whatever story she would have to say with a fond smile plastered his face.

This man, Rafael Joseph Presley, was supposed to be the little girl's personal bodyguard and he thought that he would have to face many enemies because he heard that the family was a prestigious one, filled with people who turned out to have high stature to society, but it turns out that he would turn into a babysitter.

Even after the woman died.

To be honest, Isabella's mother was not really a motherly person. She always held a bottle of alcohol and would scream at the baby if it were to cry or fuss. Isabella needed a parent but all she got was Rafael. Bella's grandparents wanted to take care of the poor girl but they were too far away and they were far too busy to be taking care of a baby.

And here they were, with two suitcases beside him and a baby on his lap. He was told that he should keep watch of Isabella even if she was going to move to her family's place now.

He was frightened. He was frightened for Isabella and for him. It felt like Isabella was abandoned, and in this case, she probably was. Her grandparents probably didn't want a child that they saw as an illegitimate one. Mrs. Torres probably saw Isabella as one.

Hell, he won't leave the baby, even if he dies. This baby needed him when she desperately needed a mother and he's very sure that she still needs him now.

He heard too much rumors about the Torres family, some good, but he leaned towards the bad, and he won't just leave Isabella in their hands. Or maybe he had gotten too obsessed with having to take care of the little munchkin? Mrs. Tatiana Torres was always his biggest problem. She was always a danger to the little girl.

Well, everything and everyone is a danger to Ms. Isabella.

Maybe he was thinking that the rest of the Torres was an alcoholic, abusive danger to the baby?

Mrs. Tatiana Torres was certainly an alcoholic, abusive danger to the baby.

"Bababa!" Isabella squealed when she saw a dog walking with their owner. The dog stopped and barked towards the baby when he heard her, his little tail wagging happily.

Instead of crying at the sudden loud noise, she squealed some more, jumping excitedly in her seat.

She clapped her hand while giggling. "Bababa!" She looks at Rafael while pointing at the puppy. "Angwa bababa?"

He may not understand her language but he smiled proudly. Isabella's such a smart girl. "Wow, look at you being so smart. You're gonna leave me someday if you grow up too fast, honey. Yes, it's a puppy. It's saying hi to you, sweetheart."

As if knowing what hi meant, she waved her hands up in the air with the biggest smile on her face with her four baby teeth showing.

The owner of the dog cooed at that sight  with a smile. "She's a smart girl."

Rafael smiled proudly like a mother. He was proud because Isabella's such a friendly mush. "She is, aren't you Isabella?"

Isabella cooed in response, munching back on her toy.