Chapter 57

When Isabella entered her home, rattled and possibly feeling pathetic and guilty for what just happened with Nicolai, she immediately ran into Romeo. Well, Romeo blocked her way.

“What the hell?” Isabella exclaimed, weakly narrowing her eyes at the man. She hadn’t seen him for so long that it was kind of weird to see him now. Obviously, he grew older, more rugged than he used to be. But he looked more tired. Before, Romeo was an easy-going person who was very jolly and amiable.

Now, he always wore a frown, there was no light in his eyes anymore. “Did your little buddy leave already?”

Isabella groaned, pinching the bridge of her nose. “You heard all of it.”

He snorted. “It’s not like you two even tried to stay quiet, kid.” He said mockingly, crossing his arms. “This must’ve been the best birthday you ever had, ain’t it?” He asked sarcastically with a hint of amusement.

“Oh, yeah, The greatest. I’m absolutely jumping and rolling on the ground with excitement.” I mused, rolling my eyes.  “You look like you’re bouncing with joy too.”

It was Romeo’s turn to groan before running his hand through his already tousled hair. “Oh, yeah, definitely. If it could kill me, I would have been dead already.” He exclaimed with a dry laugh. 

Isabella would agree with him on that.

The young lady moved to the side and Romeo blocked her way. She glared at him before moving to the other side but he still blocked it. Isabella huffed indignantly. She crossed her chest. “I thought we finished this sharing of experiences of excitement and joy?” Isabella asked. “Do you still have more to share because I’m already filled with excitement and joy from this conversation. I could actually burst from it.”

“Ha-ha. Very funny.” He said sarcastically. “Anyways, did you dismiss the guards? I don’t see them anywhere, kid.” Romeo said, putting a hand on his waist.

Isabella shrugged. “They were here just a while ago.” Isabella mumbled. It is kind of suspicious. If the guards were present then Nicolai wouldn’t even be able to talk to her or even get near her. “Ask Dmitri about it. He was the one who dismissed the people he invited for the party. He could have just told them to patrol or something.”

Romeo hummed. “Sure, kid.” He spoke. “D’you know where he is?”

“Outside. Maybe he’s also patrolling.” Isabella answered tiredly. “Do you know where’s Anthony?” She asked him.

Romeo snorted. “I ain’t his babysitter, kid.” He said with dry humour. “But maybe he’s in his room.”

She gave him a deadpanned look. “Ain’t his babysitter my butt.” Isabella mused before rolling her eyes and sighing. Romeo, for the first time, gave her an amused look.

“Ain’t you a lil’ sweetheart.” He said sarcastically. “What made you so cranky, kid?”

She shrugged. "Nothing, nothing. Go find Dimitri, you big loaf."

"You mean your babysitter, kid?" Romeo teased. Isabella was supposed to fight him but she realized it wasn't worth it.

"Yup." She replied instead as she began walking away from him. "Go find your kind."

Romeo gave her a bemused look before sticking his tongue out childishly. "Kid brat."

Isabella also stuck out her tongue. "Babysitter."

Romeo snorted and rolled his eyes before leaving. She shakes her head and sighed and went towards her brother's room.

Anthony's.