Chapter 21

Dante sipped on his drink.

He didn't expect that Isabella was going to be in that situation. He never liked unexpected situations in the first place. It makes him furious at what he cannot expect.

He didn't imagine that someone would hurt a member of his family. Dante always, always, made sure that his family would be far from what could harm them. He made sure of it.

He hates unexpected situations. He hates the unexpected. He likes to be in control. He likes to know things.

He likes the expected.

And, Isabella suddenly disappearing was unexpected.

He drank to that.

Was that his fault? It must have been at some point. He'd been too lenient, too soft, on his people that they couldn't protect what he so desperately cherishes. His sons and his only daughter were like rare treasures that he wishes to keep close. But, now, it feels like those treasures were slipping out of his hold without him noticing it.

Unexpected.

He drank to that.

He hates the unexpected.

If they were too late then Isabella could have been hurt or worse. If he were a tad bit too late then Isabella could have been...

He doesn't even want to think about it.

He's got a lot to think about right now. All he knows is that she's safe. She's in his territory. She's with them now and that she's going to make it. She wasn't hurt in any way, she's just shaken, probably, and traumatized too.

Dante needs to find therapy for his kid. He needs her to be protected. Fuck, he needs the girl safe. He needs her to stay innocent, to stay kind, to stay as Isabella, or else he was going to lose his damn mind thinking about what could have happened and what had happened.

He drank to that.

And, oh, Isabella had seen them.

How could he forget that?

The looming horror in that gentle, innocent, eyes would forever be embedded in his mind. He would never forget how her eyes had widened in fear, how she trembled at the sight of them. Of him.

She was scared of them.

She'd seen their worst, ugliest sides and Dante couldn't help but hate himself for that. He knew that deep down that he shouldn't blame himself for the things that he had no control of.

But, he could have easily controlled the situation if he didn't let his guard down, he could have been in control if he hadn't been too lenient on his people. He could have easily prevented it from happening if he had only planned ahead of time. It was his fault. It was definitely his fault.

Dante chuckled bitterly.

Isabella was the ray of sunshine in this house. The innocent lamb for slaughter. And they were the wolves. They were the hungry wolves. They could have just left Isabella alone but they didn't because they so desperately wanted that sweet gentleness, that innocent goodness that she shows around without even trying!

Like, hungry animals, they bask in that warmth, in that goodness. They believe that Isabella brings out the goodness in everyone. In them.

Oh, the poor little lamb for slaughter.

He fucked up. He always did. Dante never get things right. He couldn't even protect his family, his little girl, his men.

He was a bad son.