Unexpected News

Liliana's POV

"Bella, give mommy one minute." I sighed as I finished washing dishes while Isabella sat in her high chair whining for my attention.

It's been a week since I decided that Jackson and I would take time apart. He's been staying at a hotel and he's currently in the process of moving some of his things into a nearby condo that he's renting. I've been staying at the house with Isabella who's been extra clingy and fussy lately and I knew that it was because of Jackson not being home and the change in dynamic. Babies felt every little change around them and it took time for them to adjust.

I have let him come by through the week to see her. Even though things were bad with us I would never keep him away from our child

This past week has been difficult, to say the least. I would be lying if I said that I haven't cried almost every day since coming to my decision but I felt like I was telling Jackson what I needed and he was ignoring me so I had to do something drastic. I wasn't happy about it, but I couldn't keep dealing with the inconsideration and selfishness. It isn't fair to me and before I even think about ending this separation, I have to see a big change in Jackson. I need more than an apology.

I finished washing the dishes before picking Isabella up and taking her to her nursery to get her dressed. Once I got her ready I grabbed my things before leaving for work.

- -

Once I made it to work I got dressed in my scrubs before going to the lobby where most of the attendings were gathered. Jackson's grandfather is in town today to discuss the damage that the fire has done to the hospital as well as attend meetings regarding insurance and renovations. I wasn't really excited because I disliked his grandfather. He was arrogant and rude and I avoid him whenever possible.

"Are those puffs cereal?" Alex asked taking a seat beside me as I snacked on Isabella's baby cereal.

"Yep," I said.

"Those are for baby's." He chuckled.

"Mind your business." I side-eyed him.

"Okay grumpy." He said causing me to shrug. I didn't have time to cook myself anything this morning so I just grabbed the first thing I saw which happened to be these.

I looked up and noticed Jackson coming down the stairs. We made eye contact for a brief second before I looked away.

"You and Avery good?" Alex asked.

"We're figuring things out." I shrugged. Jackson and I chose not to tell people that we were separated at the moment. Unless we actually decided to divorce I saw no reason to have our marital issues become hospital gossip.

I heard the sound of Catherine's voice coming from down the hallway and I saw her and Harper walking towards the lobby.

"$15.8 million in repairs?" Harper said.

"Insurance covered most of it." Catherine reminded him.

"Most is not all." He said.

"Look, we took the opportunity of the fire to address some design elements that needed updating," Catherine said as they made it into the lobby.

"Design elements?" He scoffed.

"Hello, Dr. Avery. I am Chief Miranda Bailey." She began to say before he interrupted her.

"Bailey. I remember you." He said grumpily. "What is this, window dressing? Don't you people have jobs to do?" He said to everyone before walking off.

"I've always hated that man," I mumbled.

"He's an ass." Alex agreed.

"He doesn't like crowds," Bailey said turning her attention towards us.