Time For A Change

Liliana's pov

"Is that really necessary" I frown.

"Unfortunately yes. I know you don't want to go on maternity leave yet, but your body can't take you standing up operating all day right now. That's a lot for anyone, but especially someone that's far into pregnancy their pregnancy" Arizona says. I had to come in for an appointment today, because I wasn't feeling well earlier. When I woke up this morning I had a headache and I started to feel lightheaded when I stood up. Even though I still had a headache, the lightheaded feeling had passed, but Jackson and I wanted to be safe and come in for an examination just to make sure everything is okay. It turns out I was just overly exhausted and a little dehydrated and my blood pressure was slightly high, just slightly. I guess that's what I get for performing a 16 hour surgery yesterday.

"Can't I just reduce my surgery hours instead of cutting out surgery all together?"

"Lily, I don't think that's a good idea. Regardless of if you reduce your surgery hours or not, you're still going to be up on your feet for hours at a time in the O.R. and right now that's not what you or the baby need. You need more rest then you're getting."

"But..." I begin to argue until Jackson stops me.

"Lily, if Arizona thinks it's best for you to go on maternity leave now that's what you're going to have to do. I know you don't want to yet, but that's what's best for you and the baby's health right now and that's what's most important."

"Fine" I sigh folding my arms, knowing there was no point in arguing. I was completely frustrated with the fact that I have to go on maternity leave right now knowing that I still have 6 weeks until I'm due. I don't want to be out of work for that long. I need to be in the O.R., but I guess I have no choice, but to accept the fact that, that isn't a option right now.

Arizona continued to to go over the results of the different tests she ran on me and we went over some other stuff before finishing up the appointment. Jackson and I left to go home and once we made it I ate a quick lunch before I took a hot shower and changed into a pair of comfortable sweats then I laid down. I was in a crappy mood now and my head still hurt a little so all that I wanted to do right now is go to sleep.

"You okay" Jackson asks as he sits on the side of the bed beside me.

"Yeah" I mumble.

"Cheer up. It's only going to be like this for six more weeks. You're not going to be out of work forever" he reminds me, softly caressing a piece of hair out of my face

"6 weeks is a long time Jackson and that's not even including the weeks that I'm going to be out after I actually have the baby."

"Look I know it seems like a long time now, but it's going to fly by. And while you're off you can use this time to get some rest and there's still plenty of stuff we need to get done before the baby actually gets here."

"I guess you're right" I sigh.

"I am, now cheer up" he smirks.

"You know what would really make me feel better?"

"What?"

"Some ice cream" I smile.

"Of course. You've had that craving your whole pregnancy" he chuckles.

"I can't help it. Our baby likes it" I shrug.

"Of course. Blame it on the baby." He shakes his head before leaving the room to fix my ice cream and returning a short while later.

"Oh my God, this is so good" I say as I eat it.

"Its that good" he chuckles.

"Yes. It's amazing" I smile.

"You don't want any real food? You didn't finish your lunch."

"Not right now" I shake my head. "I'm going to be so huge by the end of this pregnancy. I've already gained like 25 pounds and I still have 6
weeks left."

"That's not even that much." he says trying to make me feel better.

"Thank you, even though that's a lie" I chuckle. "Ouch" I mumble as I feel the baby start kicking. When the baby started kicking earlier in my pregnancy it was just a weird fluttery feeling and most of the time I still get the same feeling when it kicks, but now that the baby's stronger and more developed it actually hurts when it kicks certain places like my ribs which it seemed to do frequently.

"You okay" Jackson asks.

"Yeah, our child just has a really strong kick" I sigh as I shift around a little in bed. He places his hand on my stomach to feel the baby's kick.

"What's going in there? Are you going to be a little soccer player" Jackson says as he talks to the baby, which only made it kick harder.

"Ow. Jackson stop talking to it. You're making it kick harder and its foot is on my ribs. You know how excited the baby gets when it hears you talking."

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry" he chuckles. "So what do you want to do today. We have the rest of the day to do whatever you want."

"I don't know I kind of just want to relax and lay in bed all day" I shrug.

"That's fine with me" he agrees.

"Can you rub my legs? They're aching."

"Okay" he chuckled as I placed my legs on his leg. He always thought it was funny when I asked him for leg massages, because I never asked for them before I was pregnant, but it was something that I asked for almost everyday now because they ached a lot from all of the standing I do during surgery.

"Your ankles are still a little swollen" he says as he begins massaging them.

"I know, but they've went down compared to last night."

"Yeah, they have. I still can't believe you did a 16 hour surgery yesterday" he shakes his head.

"Yeah, that probably wasn't my best decision."

"Probably not, but I know it's just out of habit. You're so dedicated to your job."

"Yeah, I guess I'm still getting used to not being able to do everything I could before I was super pregnant. Everything's so different" I say.

"I know. Things are really about to be different now that the baby's about to actually be here soon."

"I know. Sometimes I still can't believe it. I mean we were so close to this moment with George, but then we lost him, but this time we're going to actually get to take our baby home and raise it. It's so surreal" I sigh as I rub my stomach.

"It is. After we first lost George I don't think either one of us could've pictured being happy again and expecting another baby" he says.

"I know. I still think about him everyday."

"Me too. I wish he was here."

"So do I. I never in a million years thought that we would ever go through a loss like that, but going through that makes me realize that I have to cherish every moment of this pregnancy and with our child" I say

"I feel the same way. I'm thankful we're getting this chance again."

"Me too Avery" I say before Jackson leans over and kisses me. Life has its ups and downs, but Jackson and I are finally at an amazing place and getting the chance to be parents again and I couldn't be happier.