#33 - Buried Past

small tw for violence but like eyy

A small girl laughed loudly as she ran though the tall grass, trying to hide from the adult chasing her with a smile. I smiled when the little girl finally got caught by her father, who then carried her on his shoulders, both laughing loudly. The mother watched them on the side, smiling softly at the family bonding, knowing this moment would never be forgotten.

She was right, I never forgot. I wont let myself forget. It was one of the only memories I had with my parents. I could feel my heart clench in pain as I looked at what used to be me, smiling without a single care in the world. Of course, I still do my best to be the most positive individual, but there was always something missing.

Parental figures.

Yeah, of course, I still had Hyunjin and Hyejoo with me, but they're more like sisters than anything else.

Looking at a happy four year old me with her parents hurt. It hurt a lot. But I can't help the smile creeping onto my face.

But that smile always fades away when it suddenly skips to three years later, when an older me accidentally ran into a guy while playing with friends in the park. Anger and frustration grew as I watched the scene unfold; the teenage guy helps 7 year old me get up after falling to the ground, his smile tame enough, but his true intentions hidden behind that mask.

Little me wouldn't have known that, of course. I just took his hand and said sorry. He said it was fine with a chuckle and asked for my name. If I was older, I would've known how weird that was, but I wasn't.

"What's your name kid?"

"Choi Yerim!"

"That's a cute name for a cute kid."

"Thank you!"

"How old are you?"

I always feel unease at that question.

"I'm.. uhmm.. I am seven years old!"

"Wow, you're a child!"

"Noo I'm a big kid!" Little me whined.

"Alright, alright, you're a big kid. Oh- your little friends are calling you. You should go now."

The teenage boy stood up and was ready to leave, but little me just had to stop him. Can't really blame myself, again, I didn't know.

"What's your name?"

The boy smiled at me.

"Jaehyun."

A week later, seven year old me saw Jaehyun by the park again. Immediately, she runs up to him, despite her parents' protests. She waves at him ,who upon noticing her, waves back they talk for a few seconds before her parents catch up to her and pulling her away, telling her about how dangerous strangers were.

"But he's not a stranger, I know him!" I replied back then, not knowing anything. My parents looked at me strangely, not questioning it.

My encounters with him became more and more frequent to the point where we'd meet everyday.

A few months of this pass and I started to sneak out of the house to meet Jaehyun.

Sitting on a bench in the park under the dark and starless sky, he pulls out a gun.

"Yerim, do you know what this is?" He asked, showing the now 8 year old me the handgun. I nodded my head.

"Is that a real gun?" I asked.