#40 - The Confrontation

Yerim's POV

"...Yeojin?"

Excuse my language, but what the fuck.

I don't have any words to explain the distressed state I'm in right now. Nothing, and I mean nothing, can explain this situation nor how I'm feeling. I'm frozen, I don't know why. There are so many questions and every time I look for answers I end up with even more questions.

Now's not the time to be stuck in my thoughts. Yeojin is right in front of me, blindfolded and tied up to a chair. My heart shatters when I hear a sob and I start walking towards her.

"Yeojin... It's me." I say, not knowing what I'm hoping for. Maybe a bit of relief from her side. Unfortunately, it didn't let Yeojin calm down and in fact made her even more nervous. I avoid touching her directly so that I don't hurt her, but I start making my way through the ropes that are holding her in place.

The sound of the ropes cut through the deafening silence. Finally, after minutes of struggle, the ropes finally come loose and I let loud a relieved sigh. We can get out of here now.

I help Yeojin up and take of her blindfold just to get my heart crushed by the look in her eyes. She looked broken, and nothing will ever be able to make her forget about this one month. I felt like hitting myself because I know it's my fault this all happened to her. Maybe if I didn't tell her, maybe if we never went to that stupid laser tag game, maybe if we never met..

Maybe if I got taken away instead.

No. That man is too dangerous to live.

All of the sorrow I was feeling turns into rage and I pull out my gun. Yeojin jumps at the sudden action and I instantly regret my decision. The fear in her eyes made me remember that I was here for her and her only, and that everything else could wait.

Unfortunately, it isn't so easy. I put my gun back in its holster and take a look at the one who's dearest to me. She looks away and it felt like a cut through my heart.

"Yeojin..."

No response.

"It's okay. We're gonna be okay. We'll get out of here and we will be fine." I try to reassure, but even to me it felt like I was saying things just to say things. Yeojin mumbles something under her breath, and I can't help but inquire.

"...have we ever been?"

I freeze. What did she mean by that? Is it the situation we're in? Is it all the trouble she and I went through this past month? Or is it... No I don't believe it.

"Yeojin-ah.. what do you mean by that?"

Yeojin looks defeated and I just wanted to hold her close to me. But that didn't seem appropriate right now. We're still in this secret room and the longer we stayed, the harder it would be to get out. But before that, I need to hear what Yeojin says.

"Us. Have we, the two of us, ever been fine?"

...What?

"Yeojin- I- i don't understand what you mean..."

"...Never-mind."

I don't know how to feel. Never-mind? Have we ever been fine? What does all of this mean? Still slightly disoriented, I try to make an effort to comfort her, even if I'm not sure what shes talking about. I put my hands oh her shoulders, making her look at me.

"We'll be fine. You and me. You will never have to deal with any of this ever again."

Yeojin stares, eyes now revealing the slightest shine in them. Through all the sadness and sorrow, I can see the hope and love, and just that was enough to melt my heart all over again. I wanted to hold her. But first..