#37 - Star

Yerim's POV

I watched as the man in front of me fell to the ground, his head hitting the pavement with a loud thud. Blood slowly leaks out from where the bullet hit him and creates a small pool around the body.

I'm not the one who killed him. In fact, I'm still watching from my spot. Hyeju took care of him for me. It seems like he was about to break into Yeojin's house.

I stay still, waiting for something else to happen. I hear commotion in Yeojin's house, but I know the yelling is because of the loud gunshot that went off. I know that she's safe, but I couldn't help but worry. What if she wasn't safe? I shake my head. I should worry about protecting her for now. I put my nervousness away and focus on my task.

I surveil the area for more people that will arrive, and in just a few seconds, a black van appears at the corner of my eye, only for it to stop in front of the house. The door opens swiftly and several more men dressed in black step out, holding guns in their hands. Despite my adrenaline going up, I can't help but roll my eyes. Does he really have to send so many people to get back at me?

He must be really insistent on making my life a living hell, or else he wouldn't do it. Actually, he probably still would. I don't even know anymore that man's insane.

With so many (most probably) trained men making their way to the front door, it was obvious that Hyeju wouldn't be able to get them all, despite her amazing skills. Meaning that I have to step in too. But having bushes as my only source of cover and protection is a terrible idea, meaning I'm going to have to move from my current position. As quiet as I wanted to be, I can't risk taking my time and potentially endanger everyone by my lack of actions.

As quickly as I could, I get myself into a crouching position and dash out of the bushes that were keeping my presence undetected. I tumble forward and quickly grasp my handgun, aiming at one of the men's head and immediately shooting. I recoil from the shot and I hear the splatter of blood after the gunfire, meaning I hit my target. Having no time to lose, I tumble forward again, avoiding a bullet making its way towards me. I once again point my gun at a random person, noting the fact that the one I had shot before was laying on the ground, in his own pool of blood. I feel like puking. You get used to act of killing, but the sight of what you've done never leaves you.

Still, I take no hesitation and fire again. And again. I dash behind a tree, and several bullets make the trunk their home. It's a miracle I'm even alive. I hear screaming. And another shot. A body hits the pavement. I pray for whoever is going to have to clean this up.

I slightly peek out from behind the tree, quietly observing. Out of the five remaining men, only one of them has their focus on me. One is trying to break into the house and the others are looking up the roof, pointing their gun upwards. The man who looks at me fires and the bullet.nearly misses my face. I once again hide my body behind the tree and I crouch. The bullets hit the bark above me. It keeps going. In between the shots, I can hear footsteps approaching. I have to act, or else I'm a sitting duck. I look up to the tree and notice that all the bullets are lodged on the left side. The person must have their aim ready in that direction.

I turn to my right and aim the gun at the man's head, still crouching. He has little time to react and change his position before I put a bullet through his head. Despite that, he still manages to shoot, and I get hit in the corner of my left shoulder. I wince in pain, biting my lip to not let out a scream. The bullet had luckily only grazed my arm, but it still cut deep. I feel the warm blood starting to trickle out of my wound, but I pay no mind to it. It won't be enough to make me pass out of blood loss.

Still, I clench my shoulder and go back into hiding. I curse under my breath because of the pain and I kind of just want to sit here, away from the action. A gunshot was all it took for me to remember why I'm here. I still need to finish off the others. I still need to protect Yeojin. I can't let the others down.