Chapter One

Author's Note: When this story takes place: 1-A is in UA

Our story starts with a little bit of (Y/n)'s backstory. (Y/n) was adopted at the age of 15 by a pro-hero (age 26), and put into UA's hero course. She faced severe bullying in her first year because of her quirk and seemingly ran away, never to been seen or heard from again. It's been 5 years and (Y/n) is now twenty years old. In those five years, (Y/n) managed to make a new name for herself.

(Y/n)'s quirk is called 'Empathizer'. The user can feel other's emotions and transfer the energy from the target to themselves. However, the user can also exemplify the target's emotions and send them into a panic attack or mental breakdown depending on the strength of the exemplification. The user can also do the reverse. They can take the negative energy and add it to their own, if for example, they had to calm someone down. However, the user will get various side effects if they over use their quirk. Side effects can include surprise panic attacks, sudden or increased bouts of depression, and if severe enough, cause a total mental breakdown in the user.

(Y/n) could be considered a villain but hasn't done anything law breaking yet. She keeps her identity a complete secret. She sticks to her own agenda, going here and there when something new pops up.

...

The pale light of the moon filled the alley as you headed to your dilapidated, rundown apartment in the slums. You worked a very small and barely paying job that you weren't quite proud of, but you managed to get by. You arrived at your apartment building and headed upstairs, tiredly dragging yourself to your door. You took out your key and unlocked it, stepping inside, "Home sweet home..."

You froze in the doorway. Your apartment had been totally trashed. Drawers were pulled open and the contents within them were scattered. Cabinets had been flung open and the items inside had been removed in a hurry. Someone had been here, and they were looking for something.

You walked further into your apartment, seeing more damage as you did so. You entered the bedroom, seeing that it was just as destroyed. It was then that you noticed a slightly crinkled, but pristine white envelope sitting on your bed. On the front, your name had been messily written. You picked up the envelope, finding a folded-up letter inside. You also took notice of the tall black candle on your nightstand. A blue flame burned the wick. You took out the letter and began to read.

(Y/n), we've been watching you for quite some time, but don't worry, your past isn't what concerns us. Your quirk interests us much, much more. You could be a valuable asset to us if you choose to become one of us. You could get revenge on all those people who excluded and ignored you. You could get revenge on 'Daddy Dearest', who left you to rot in that villain attack 5 years ago.

If you choose to become one of us, come to the address at the bottom of this letter tomorrow. If you don't come, just know that we'll be watching.

Address: XXXX St. XXXX

You put the letter down and sat on your bed, thinking about what you had just read. They knew who you were and they knew about what had happened to you, but only a select few could remember it all.

'Who even are these people? And how do they know about the villain attack? No one, not even the public, ever knew about it. Unless...No. It couldn't be them.'

You put the letter away and began to clean up your apartment. There was no point in filing a report since you lived in a pretty bad area that neither the police nor pro heroes really cared about. After everything was back in its proper place, you checked all the windows and doors, making sure they were locked before you went to bed for the night.

...

Your eyes snapped open as shouts and rumbling filled your ears. You stood in a destroyed part of the city, feeling the ground shake and tremble as nomus attacked all around you. The tremors grew stronger, causing pieces of rubble to fall from the buildings above you. You had known that it was coming, but you weren't fast enough to dodge it. A large chunk crushes your right leg, pinning you to the ground as pain invades your body, causing you to scream out.

Two voices echo in your ears, mixing with the blood already pumping there. They were familiar to you, two men that you could never forget. They called out to you.

"(Y/n)! Where are you?! We have to retreat!"

"******, we have to go now! If we stay any longer, we'll die too!"

"I have to find (Y/n)! I have to find my dau-!"

"There's no time! She's most likely dead already! You can adopt another kid, let's go!"

The voices fade and rushing footsteps replace their noise in the silence. The two men come into view, causing you to scream out for them again. The pain continues to fill your body, but they pay you little heed. One of the men disappears around a corner, stopping to call out to the other man who is openly looking at (Y/n).

"...Hurry up, *****. These buildings are going to collapse soon."

You reached out for the man, but he only turns and walks away, getting further and further until he's completely out of sight. A final scream claws its way out of your throat as the pain reaches a white-hot crescendo.

"N-NO...!

...

You snapped awake, sitting up, and clutching the blanket to your chest, panting heavily. You always had the same reoccurring dream and the nights you had no dreams; you were grateful. Those nights, you wouldn't have to relive that painful memory.

You calmed yourself down and looked at the clock.

"It's 10:00. I should get to this place before I have to go to work. They're after me, and I want to know why."