Chapter Thirty-Six

...

The doctor headed towards the door. "I'll let you three get acquainted while I grab the forms you need to take home." The doctor left the room and shut the door. Natsuo looked at the two of you, not knowing what to say. Dabi grinned. "It's been a while. You still a little rebel?" Natsuo looked at him, confused. "What? I don't know you. I think you've got the wrong person." Dabi tilted his head. "Oh come on. Don't you recognize your dear old brother?" You caught the sarcasm in his voice. Natsuo glared at Dabi, examining him. "Touya's dead. He's been dead for years. Stop with the sick jokes." Dabi leaned back in his seat. "I'm alive. Such a shame actually, but what can you do? Anyways, who do you think broke mom out of the hospital? And who do you think got Shoto to become a villain?" Natsuo looked away. "..." You spoke up. "He is Touya..." Natsuo looked at you, then turned back to Dabi. He approached him, looking in his eyes. "You still owe me $20." A look of recognition flashed in Dabi's eyes before he lightly punched Natsuo's arm and laughed as he spoke. "F*ck you, I was thirteen!"

Natsuo smiled. "So it is you. I'm surprised you still remember." Dabi rose a brow. "Really? You were going to tell mom I had adult magazines. Now though...I see how stupid that was." The two spoke for a few minutes before turning to you, who was watching them with a soft smile. Natsuo spoke to you. "Now, the reason you two are here. So, twins? Do you have an idea for your birth plan?" You hummed. "I know for delivery, I want Rei with me for some maternal support. The doctor here is going to be the same one helping me deliver. I've already planned out all the pain management with the doctor." Natsuo nodded. "Alright, sounds good. So you can have two people plus your coach in the delivery room. Assuming my brother is the actual father, is he going to be there?" Dabi scoffed. "Where else do you think I'm going to be? I'm going to be right next to her when she starts popping them out." You looked away in embarrassment. "Yeah...he'll be there."

...

In another room, down the hall, a telephone call resumed. On one end of the line, a gruff voice spoke. "Keep an eye on him. I don't need another betrayal." The man in the room turned in his chair, reading some papers as he responded. "Yes, sir. Also, based on the results, she may be able to be induced earlier than we thought. She can carry to full term, but it would be in our best interests to induce her a week before her estimated due date." There was silence, then, the other responded. "Hm...Good. The sooner the better. As long as you uphold your part of the deal, I'll uphold mine. Has the injection been successful?" The wheels on the chair rolled as it was pushed back and a drawer was opened. "Indeed it has. An injection with the potential to mutate a mental quirk into that of a physical one..." The other cleared their throat as they chuckled. "Very good. Just imagine...how powerful. Touya's fire was connected to his emotions and he was full of unlimited strength. But with this...they may just be even stronger..." The drawer closed and the chair moved back into its proper place. "Exactly. But we'll have to get them away from the girl and her partner. What's the plan?" The other voice paused. "We'll have to wait until they're moved into the hospital nursery."

Papers clicked against the desk as they were straightened. "We can use the baskets to get them out." Then, there was a click of a pen. "Explain." Footsteps echoed in the room as one walked around, pacing the room. "Babies being put up for adoption are put into wicker baskets made by the nurses and taken to the orphanages in the area. I'll put them in the baskets and get them out of the hospital that way." There was a hum. "Perfect. Now, don't mess this up." There was the sound of a pen scribbling, then silence.

"Yes, sir."

...

The doctor returned after 20 minutes with all the papers and helped you set up some meetings with Natsuo. "Also, looking at your information, we've found that you may be able to be induced earlier than your due date." You tilted your head. "Will I need to be induced or can I carry until the estimated date?" Dabi and Natsuo watched the doctor, a feeling of unease settling in their stomachs. Something felt off and, in that moment, all they could focus on was the feeling of uneasiness creeping up their spines. After 10 more minutes, you and Dabi headed back to the base. You opened the door, only to be greeted by complete chaos. Shigaraki was teaching Nyx a bite and release command and Nyx had a grip on Twice's pillow wrapped arm. Twice flailed around, causing Nyx to bite tighter. Rei and Kurogiri only watched and sighed tiredly as Toga laughed at Twice. Shigaraki frowned. "Nyx, release him!" Nyx still held Twice's arm tightly, growling. Dabi huffed and approached them. He glanced at Shigaraki, then at Nyx. He spoke, his voice slightly deepening. "Nyx, release!" Nyx immediately released Twice and sat in front of Dabi. He reached down to pet her and scratched behind her ears. He looked at Shigaraki. "She doesn't listen to you because you aren't firm with her. She knows to listen to me because I've been firm with her since day one."

Shigaraki whined. "I am firm with her!" You crossed your arms over your chest. "Really? Just yesterday, she took a whole loaf of bread off the counter right in front of you and instead of taking it from her and putting her in the puppy pen, you just let her do it." Shigaraki looked away. "..." Dabi scratched behind Nyx's ears. "And Nyx is smart. She knows that anyone in this room could be a threat, including me. For example, (Y/n), go sit in the chair over there." You went and sat in the chair, getting comfortable. You called Nyx and Nyx immediately moved to sit in front of the chair. Dabi spoke. "Now, watch." Dabi approached you slowly, using his posture and voice to sound intimidating. He slightly raised his voice. "You're always sitting around doing nothing. Can't you ever do anything?" As soon as he reached out towards you, Nyx's ears fell back as she growled. She snapped at Dabi's hand. He brought his hand back and pretended to try and shove Nyx aside. Nyx harshly headbutted Dabi's legs and knocked him to the ground. She stayed on top of him, lightly growling. Dabi sighed. "Alright, Nyx. Off. Mama's safe." Nyx got off of him and sat. Dabi pet her and turned to everyone. "Saying 'Mama's safe' is like her on and off switch, but she'll only listen if that command comes from me or (Y/n)." You grinned. "So beware if she tries to attack you."

Everyone ate lunch and sat in the living room, watching as Dabi taught Nyx new commands and went over old ones. Toga spoke up. "How do you even know all this stuff, Dabi?" Dabi turned to her after praising Nyx. "My old man would get guard dogs and train them himself, but he was cruel. He'd use shock collars, prong collars, and a lot of other sh*t. I don't care for the fear tactics. I'd rather the dog trust me, than bite me out of fear." After a while, Nyx took a nap and some of the others got ready for a mission. Rei called the two of you over to the kitchen where she was preparing all the ingredients for dinner. "I think your father might still have Apollo. He was a beautiful dog. If you could get your hands on him, you could get some beautiful puppies." Dabi shrugged. "Mm...I could go scope the house. See if he's still there." You smiled. "You should. That poor dog shouldn't be stuck with that garbage." After half an hour, Dabi got up and left the base. You helped Rei with the cooking as Nyx watched TV with Toga and Twice in the living room. As you cooked, Rei decided to strike up a conversation. "So, what did the doctor say?" You paused.

"Well..."