Chapter Fourteen

You and Hawks headed out to the living room and sat down. You could feel him staring at your bandages, but you ignored it. He took his gaze off the bandages to look at you, "So, are you going to explain now?" You shook his question off, "It's just some relationship problems. That's all." Hawks' gaze flitted to your wrist for a moment before coming back to you, "Did he do that to you?" You rolled your eyes, getting tired of his pathetic attempt at concern, "It doesn't matter. There's no point in crying over it." The blonde gestured to the room Eri was in, "Is the kid alright? Does she know what happened?" You sighed, moving some hair out of your face, "Eromi's fine. She wasn't in the room. Anyways, we just need to stay here for a few days and then we'll be out of your hair." He rose a brow at your words, "I don't think it's safe for you to go back." You scoffed at him, "Do you really think I'd listen to you?" You watched Hawks as he moved closer to you, your eyes catching his every movement.

One of his wings wrapped around you slightly, "Because, think of it this way...From what I've seen of your husband, he's not good for either of you. But I, on the other hand, could take care of you properly. Be a better fa-!" You grinned as a familiar bunny stuffy hit the side of his head. Eri quickly got between the two of you, making Hawks retract his wing, "Leave my mom alone! And don't say mean things about daddy! He'll always be better than you!" You pulled Eri back and stood, balancing her on your hip, "You're completely right, sweetheart. Your daddy is amazing. He just has his moments sometimes." Eri smiled, "Yeah!" You took Eri back into the guest room. Eri falls asleep and naps as you check your phone. You had several missed calls and texts from Dabi. You contemplated calling him, your finger hovering over the call button. You pressed it and held the phone to your ear. Dabi answered right away, barely giving the phone any time to ring, "(Y/n), princess, where are you? Is the kid with you?" You sighed, gently playing with Eri's hair as she slept next to you, "Yes, she's with me. We're fine." You could tell that he had drank a bit due to the slur in his speech, "Please come back to the base. I know I f*cked up but-"

You cut him off, "I get it. You made a mistake. That's ok. But hurting me was not." He swallowed on the other end, "I...I know. Can I talk to the kid?" You hesitated, "Give me a second..." You nudged Eri awake, smiling as she rubbed her eyes and yawned, "Hey sleepyhead, your daddy's on the phone..." At the mention of Dabi, Eri sprung up and made grabby hands at the phone. You handed the phone to her after putting it on speaker. Eri spoke, "Hi daddy." Dabi's deep voice rang through the speaker, "Hey baby mouse. Are you being good for your mom?" Eri frowned a bit, her voice a bit sad "Yeah. I miss you though..." Dabi chuckled, some shuffling coming from the other line, "I miss you too, but you be good for your mom. Can you pass the phone back to her?" His words seemed to cheer Eri up as a smile spread across her face, "Ok! I will!" She passed the phone back to you and fell back asleep. You took the phone off speaker and asked, "Yes?" Dabi sounded much more sober than before, his words more serious, "Please stay safe. Wherever you're at. I love you, princess." Your heart still skipped a beat at the last few words, even though he had said them to you many times. You replied, "I love you too."

The bedroom door opens and Hawks peeks his head in, unaware that you are on the phone, "Dinner's ready, you two." Unfortunately for you, Dabi recognized Hawks' voice, "(Y/n), why are you with him? You could get caught! Are you f*cking insane?" You locked eyes with Hawks, hoping he hadn't heard but he picked up the last sentence Dabi said and approached you. He gestures to your phone. You shook your head, but he wasn't having it. He used a feather to grab the phone and bring it up to his ear, "Listen buddy, she isn't going home for a while. Not until you clean up your act at least. If you can't respect her, then you have no right to speak to her like that." Hawks hangs up the phone and hands it back to you, "If he calls again, let me know and I'll handle it." You bit your tongue as you tugged him out of the room, stopping in the doorway to look at the now awake Eri, "We'll be right back sweetheart."

You forced him into the living room and sat on the sofa. Your eye slightly twitched as you frowned, "I called him, bird brain. He was worried about where we were. He's probably been looking for us, he's that worried." Hawks tilted his head, a slight frown on his lips, "So you're perfectly fine with him calling you "f*cking insane" for whatever reason?" You narrowed your eyes as you glared at him, "at this point, I might as well be f*cking insane and you don't know the half of it." Hawks pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing, "Then explain it to me." You scoffed, "It's none of your business. Superheroes can't save everyone, Hawks. And not everyone wants to be saved." Hawks goes to say something else but the conversation is interrupted by a knock from the front door. Hawks sighs and walks towards the door.

"Looks like he's here. Earlier than expected too..."