Chapter Sixteen

You were almost back to base when you heard faint coughing from around the corner. You carefully approached and peered around the corner. A boy, no older than sixteen, sits slumped against the wall. Blood stains parts of his shirt as some drips from his lip. You kneel down in front of him, speaking softly, "Are you alright?" The boy flinched back, "I-I'm fine." He coughed and winced, blood spotting the concrete in front of him as he held his side. The light from a lamp post shines on his face. You paused, realizing who he was. The boy looked at you blankly, but his lip and the cut on his forehead were bleeding profusely. You sighed, "I can get you some help, but you can't tell anyone where I'm taking you." The boy looks at you hesitantly before getting up shakily and following after you. The two of you arrive at the base a few minutes later. You open the door and help him inside. He leans on your shoulder for support. In the bar, Dabi is watching Eri. He notices the two of you, his eyes darkening when they land on the boy, "(Y/n), why did you bring him here?!" You ushered the boy towards the stairs, "I'm going to help him. He's hurt."

You take the boy up to your room, reassuring him that he'll be fine. You put him on the bed and go to find the first aid kit. You return a few minutes later to find Dabi whispering something to the boy. The boy's face doesn't change, which makes Dabi frown more. You pulled Dabi away from the bed, "Dabi, leave him alone! Go downstairs." Dabi huffed, "Whatever." Dabi leaves and you tend to the boy's injuries, talking to him as you do so, "I know who you are, Shoto Todoroki." Shoto tensed under your grip, "Wha-" You smiled, "Shota Aizawa, your teacher, yes? He told me about you...and your family." Shoto relaxed, but you could tell that his guard was up. You continued, "He told me about your father and his unfortunate tendencies. Did he do this to you?" Shoto looked down, "...It doesn't matter. Nothing can be done." You tilted your head, "No. I believe something can be done. I have some questions for you. In return, I'll tell you something about your brother, Touya." Shoto looked up at you, his eyes cold, "You're a villain. I have no reason to trust you. And Touya's dead. There's nothing you can tell me that I don't already know."

You smiled, your fingers playing with his hair, "Hm...I wouldn't be so sure." Shoto went silent. He was hesitant, but soon, he spoke, "...Fine. What do you want to know?" You stopped playing with his hair, your hands gripping at the blankets, "Touya...was he also abused?" Shoto nodded, "From what I know, yes. But he never saw it as abuse. He saw it as training. Fuyumi said his quirk was too powerful and it burned him from the inside." You bit your lip as you asked your next question, "Did the abuse cause Touya's accident?" Shoto looked away from you, his eyes showing a painful sadness, "I was very young when the accident happened, but I know that it was the result of the abuse and neglect by Endeavor's hands." You could tell that he was emotionally suffering and activated your quirk, taking his negative energy away little by little, "Did your father hold him to some kind of strict standard?" Shoto seemed to relax further as the negative energy left him, "He wanted a half fire, half ice child to carry on his legacy and surpass AllMight, but Touya became weak and useless to Endeavor after he showed signs of my mother's constitution." You hummed, "You mother's constitution?"

He nodded, "Yes. His body changed to adapt to an ice quirk and his hair started to fade to white. And in doing so, he could not use his quirk for long periods of time without hurting himself." You put the roll of bandages down and placed the first aid kit on the nightstand, "And what exactly was the accident?" Shoto's expression hardened, "Touya...He was angry after I was born. He wanted Endeavor's approval so badly and went up to the training peak, accidently overusing his quirk and cremating his entire body except for a piece of his lower jaw." You rested your hand on his forehead, taking as much of the negativity as you could, "I'm sorry if I brought up any bad memories. I'll be right back with my part of the deal." You leave the room and head down to the bar. Dabi is sitting on a stool, drinking a small glass of something while Eri is asleep on the sofa. You approach him, "I know why you don't want him here now. It all makes sense." He looked at you, his face blank, "Then tell me if you think you know everything, princess." You took a deep breath, then spoke, "You're Touya Todoroki. Oldest son of Enji Todoroki, otherwise known as Endeavor." Dabi downed the rest of his drink, "And where's your proof?"

You huffed, "You told Eri to call you 'Touya', and responded to it without hesitation. And now you're getting riled up over Shoto being here. But there's one last thing." Dabi tilted his head, a smirk pulling at his lips, "And what would that be?" You stood in front of him, running your hands through his hair, "Your hair. I can tell it's dyed, but I don't know its original color." You moved back as Dabi stood from his seat, "You just want to stick your nose in other people's business, huh?" Dabi gets up and walks over to the sink behind the bar, turning on the faucet. He puts his head under the water, scrubbing at his hair with his hands. Soon enough, black dye starts dripping into the sink. After a few minutes, most of the dye is gone. He dries his hair with a dish towel and turns to you. His hair is now pure white with very faint red tips. He tossed the towel into the sink, "You're smarter than I thought princess, but why are you bringing this up now?" You grabbed his arm, "Because I had to. Come on."

You force Dabi upstairs and into the room with Shoto. Dabi only narrows his eyes at the boy. Shoto watches him blankly and then looks at you, "What information do you have on my brother?" You moved to the side, pushing Dabi forward, "Shoto, this is Touya Todoroki." Shoto turned his gaze to Dabi, "Tell me something only Touya would know. There's no possible way that you are my brother." Dabi smirked, but his eyes were cold, "How about this? You were seven the first time you saw him hit mom. Natsuo and Fuyumi weren't home to shield you from it." Shoto stared at Dabi, a multitude of emotions flickering through his eyes, "Y-You...Touya?" Dabi rolled his eyes, "Just because I'm alive doesn't mean I hate you any less. All it means is that I-!" You cut him off, a deep frown on your face, "Why do you hate him so badly? He's your brother. Someone you're supposed to love and protect." Shoto watches Dabi, also thinking about the answer himself. He knew Endeavor was behind it all, but maybe there were things he didn't know.

Dabi scoffed, "After Endeavor deemed me a failure, he tried again with Natsuo and Fuyumi. They also failed. Then, Shoto, you came along. In Endeavor's eyes, you were perfect. You were the golden child. Everything I worked so hard for was just given to you on a silver platter." Shoto looked at him, his blank stare faltering, "I-" Dabi used his quirk, lighting a small flame in the palm of his hand. He let it grow until it consumed his whole hand, then he put it out, "You were everything I wanted to be! Endeavor's pride and joy, the one who would finally topple AllMight and become #1. Because of you, he tossed me aside! He abandoned me and my dream! All while you lived out your perfect little life with your perfect little quirks." You stepped between Dabi and the bed where Shoto sat, "Dabi! None of that was his fault!" Dabi growled at you, "How was it not his fault?!" You shook your head at him, "He did not choose to be born. He did not choose to manifest two quirks. He did not choose to be Endeavor's successful experiment. And he did not choose to take anything from you." Shoto looked over at Dabi, his expression one of conflict, "I...I didn't want any of that from him. I didn't have a choice. It was his dream, not mine."

Dabi'sfrowned deepened, "He probably treats you like his most prized possession. Hislittle toy can never get hurt by anyone but him, right?" You grabbed Dabi'scollar, pulling him back, "Dabi, you need to really look at him. He's beenhurt, just like you. His injuries were from Endeavor. You weren't the only oneto be hurt or abandoned, so why do you continuously act like you are?" Dabifell silent. He looked at Shoto, his glare softening, but his eyes holding manyemotions. He turns and quickly exits the room, not saying a word. You sit nextto Shoto, gently rubbing the top of his head. Shoto still looks down at theblankets, not moving. You tried to reassure him, "None of this was your fault.He's just hurt and in pain right now." Shoto looked up at you, "I...wasn't veryclose to Touya when I was younger, but I'd never imagined things would turn outthis way." You stood, grabbing another blanket and covering him with it, "Noone could've predicted it. Anyways, you can go home now. Or you can stay forthe night." Shoto pulled the blanket up to his chest, "I don't think I can goback tonight." You walked towards the door and turned off the lights, leavingthe lamp on the nightstand on, "You can sleep in here. Let me know if you needanything."