Chapter Twenty-Seven

Everyone waits for Kurogiri to finish his sentence. You and Dabi watch him expectantly. Kurogiri speaks. "You're expecting two healthy boys." Toga whined. "No! I lost the bet!" Twice cheered. "Yes! Give me my money!" Shigaraki sighed and looked at Dabi. "Look at that. Those kids are your second chance, Dabi." Shoto nodded. "A second chance at a new beginning." Kurogiri cleans the gel off your stomach and Dabi takes you up to his room. He sits on the bed, holding you in his arms. He doesn't speak. You look at him, slightly concerned. "Dabi? What's wrong?" He frowned. "You heard what Kurogiri said. I already messed up my kids' lives and they aren't even born yet!" You turned, holding his face in your hands. "Don't say that! You didn't ruin their lives. Both of our quirks have harsh consequences and we just have to live with it. You're going to be here to teach them how to use their quirks properly if they have your fire. So don't worry." Dabi hesitated for a moment before speaking. "...You're right. I just want them to be alright. And since everyone knows you're a villain now, you'll either have to give birth here, or we'll have to find some underground doctor to help us."

You sighed. "Everything will be fine, Dabi. Don't worry."

It's been a few weeks since you found out the twins' genders. The two of you had managed to find an underground doctor for more ultrasounds and the birth. Everyone had been bringing baby items back to the base for the nursery Dabi and Shigaraki were working on. Shoto would watch over you while Dabi was out and sometimes, he would rest a hand on your stomach, just to feel the twins move.

...

Dabi came downstairs and entered the bar, spotting you watching tv on the couch with Shoto next to you. He approached you, putting his hand on your shoulder. "You should be resting in bed, princess." You looked up at him. "I know. I think I'll go nap." Dabi helped you upstairs and into bed. He held you as you curled into his chest. His hands rubbed your stomach gently. "Hm...They don't seem to be moving a lot today..." You yawned. "They're tired too, Dabi. We all are." The two of you fall asleep peacefully, but a strange feeling hangs over everyone in the base.

...

You woke up a few hours later, still in Dabi's arms. Dabi was still asleep, a peaceful look on his face. You shifted over as a sudden bout of cramps started in your lower back and stomach. You winced, waking Dabi up. He looked at you. "Hey, what's wrong?" You shook your head, taking a deep breath. "Just some cramps. I'm fine." You laid back down, but the cramps only became worse. Dabi watched you, unsure of what to do. You froze altogether when you felt something wet on your thighs. You turned to Dabi. "Move the blanket!"

**TRIGGER WARNING FOR BLOOD**

Dabi quickly removed the blanket, only to be greeted by the sight of blood between your thighs. Your body tensed as the cramps became more intense. Dabi quickly stood. "Sh*t! Hang on princess. I'm going to get you to the doctor." Dabi picked you up and rushed downstairs. Everyone turned to the two of you. Dabi turned to Kurogiri. "Kurogiri! I need a portal to the doctor! Hurry!" Everyone watches worriedly as Kurogiri opens the portal. You were still bleeding heavily and slightly spasming from the cramps that wracked your body. Dabi takes you through and the portal closes behind the two of you. He quickly approaches the desk. "I need the doctor! She's bleeding heavily and she's pregnant!" The nurses are quick to take you away on a stretcher. Dabi can only wait in the waiting room. Shoto arrives 20 minutes later since Shigaraki sent him. "Is she alright?" Dabi looked at him with bloodshot eyes. "I've been waiting. And nothing." The two sit in silence, waiting. Hours pass and they still haven't heard anything. Then, after 5 hours, the doctor comes out. Blood stains the left side of his coat. Dabi stands and approaches the doctor. "How is she? How are my kids?"

The doctor looks at him with an unreadable expression. He sighs and places a hand on Dabi's shoulder. "Ms. Aizawa is stable, but..." Dabi frowned. "But...?" The doctor looked towards the door he came from. "We believe she has miscarried. We could not detect any heartbeats from the fetuses. And there has been no fetal movement. I'm sorry." In that moment, Dabi's heart stopped. He closed his eyes for a moment before looking at the doctor. "Can I see her?" The doctor nodded. "Of course." The doctor led Dabi and Shoto to the room you were in. You were asleep on the bed. The doctor left them alone in the room. Dabi sits in the chair next to the bed and grips your hand. Small streams of blood cascade down his cheeks and drip onto the floor. Shoto approaches slowly and places a hand on his shoulder. Surprisingly, Dabi rests his head on Shoto's shoulder, the two sitting in a silent, sad hug. Shoto even sheds a few tears as his brother breaks down in front of him. In that moment, Dabi would have accepted someone, anyone.

After an hour of silence and your heart monitor beeping, you began to stir. Dabi and Shoto pull away from each other and Shoto leaves the room to give the two of you some privacy. You slowly open your eyes and turn towards Dabi. "W-What happened? Are my babies alright...?" Dabi hesitated. "(Y/n), I..." You became more aware of the dried blood streams on Dabi's cheeks and your own eyes begin to become glossy. "Dabi. Tell me. Please..." Dabi looked down. "You had a miscarriage. They're..." He doesn't need to finish his sentence for you to know what had happened. The two of you sit in the hospital room, holding each other as you cry. A scream makes its way out of your throat as all of your emotions hit you full force.

Outside the room, Shoto sat slumped against the wall. He knew that his brother was blaming himself for what had happened, but no one could have predicted it. He got up and started back to the league's base. Someone had to keep them from asking the dreaded question.

...

You hadn't stopped crying, yet Dabi was silent. You knew he was hurting just as much as you were, yet you couldn't help but feel that he was blaming himself.