Chapter Four

You sat on the chair at your desk and looked at him. It had been a while since anyone had wanted to actually know about you. You bit your lip, "What do you want to know? I'm not going to say much, so choose your questions carefully." Dabi smirked, resting his forearms on his knees, "What made you take up Shigaraki's offer? Not many people want to be a villain." You shrugged, his words making you remember some unpleasant things as you spoke, "It's probably the same reason you have. Get revenge or die trying. Next."

He grinned, slightly amused by your answer, "Hm, true. Anyways, you have a boyfriend, girlfriend, partner?" You had given up on love a long time ago. It had only left you miserable, so you didn't see the point in chasing after it, "No. And I don't plan to have one any time soon." The dark-haired man was somewhat surprised by your answer. To him, you were attractive enough to get anyone you wanted, but if he had the chance to get you, he'd gladly take it. He chuckled, "Interesting. How old are you anyways?" You paused for a moment. It had been five years since you last celebrated your birthday, "I just turned 20. You?" Dabi looked at her, "24."

You took a moment to use your quirk and feel his energy. You could feel a lot of bitterness and anger, but the biggest thing you felt was pain. Emotional and physical pain. It was then that you decided to ask him, "Do you have any family still looking for you?" You watched as Dabi slightly tensed at the question but quickly regained his composure, "Not any worth going back for. If I have to snuff them out, I will. What about you?" You scoffed, "Dead parents, no siblings, and a f*cked up foster home. I was adopted from there, but then he left me to die too. You do anything besides villain work?"

Dabi shook his head, "Not really. Even the scummiest places won't hire a villain, but I don't really care. What's your quirk?" You sighed, getting ready for all the questions Dabi would ask, "It's called empathizer. I can transfer emotional energy, convert it, or manipulate it." Dabi looked at you, his interest sparking, "Convert it?" You sighed, "For example, I can take a person's sadness, depression, etc, and convert it to happiness by exchanging my own emotional energy." Dabi ran a hand through his hair, "That sounds mentally taxing, but at least you aren't burning from the inside out." You tilted your head, "Does your quirk burn you?"

Dabi turned to look at you, not surprised when he found your eyes already watching him, "Yeah, but I barely feel it anymore." You hummed and shifted from your position in the chair, "Hmm...do you mind if I try something?" Dabi leaned back on the bed, watching you cautiously, "What?" You stood from the chair and made your way over to him, "This." He fell silent as you placed a hand on his forehead. Your touch was soft and light. The room fell silent as Dabi took in your face that was only a few inches from his. Your eyes were closed as you focused on the task at hand. After a few seconds you jolted, but then went still again. Dabi admired you quietly, but quickly looked away as you opened your eyes and pulled your hand away.

He felt different somehow. He felt as if he was just a little bit lighter, "What did you do?" You smiled and sat back in your seat, "I could feel some bad energy around you. So I transferred it. You probably feel a bit weird right now, but you'll be fine." Dabi nodded, a twinge of concern settling in his mind. He didn't understand why, but he wanted to know if your quirk would hurt you since you took his energy, "Is that energy going to backfire on you?" You yawned, shrugging your shoulders as you did so, "Most likely, but I'm used to it. Now, it's getting late, and I'm tired, so goodnight." Dabi nodded and stood, ready to sleep himself, if his insomnia ever let up, "Mhm, the princess must get her beauty sleep after all."

Someone knocked on the door, causing the two to look at each other. Dabi opened the door to reveal Toga on the other side. He looked down at her, "What do you want, crazy? It's late." Toga looked at him, trying to nudge him to the side, "I need to talk to (Y/n)." Dabi moved out of the way, allowing Toga to enter the room, "Whatever, crazy. I was just heading out. Goodnight." He left the room, his footsteps fading the further down the hall he got. You turned to Toga, just wanting to get in bed and go to sleep, "What did you need?" Toga looked down at her feet for a moment before looking up at you, "Um, do you know how to braid hair? Big sis Magne used to, but she's gone now. And Twice sucks."

You smiled and patted the empty spot on your bed, "Come here. I'll do it." Toga sat in front of you with her back to you. You grabbed a brush and some hair ties before starting. Toga spoke, "What happened to Dabi? He's usually grumpy and never tells anyone goodnight." You sighed as you braided the blonde's hair, "I used my quirk to remove some negative energy from him. He seems full of the stuff." Toga giggled, "That's so cool! Could you try it on me?" You finished the braid, putting the brush on the nightstand, "I already did. Since I was physically touching you, I used my quirk out of habit."

Toga smiled, "I actually feel super light right now! Cool!" You yawned, "Alright, we both should be getting to bed." Toga nodded and headed towards the door, "Ok. Goodnight, sis-!" Toga quickly covered her mouth with her hand, before lowering it after a few seconds, "Is it ok if I call you that?" You smiled softly, "It's fine. Now run along." Toga left and you got into bed, feeling the side effects of your quirk coming on rather quickly. The voices that liked to play with your mind had returned to torment you more. They were vicious, spewing never ending words that burnt like acid.

'What is wrong with you?! You're getting attached again! They'll just leave like A-'

You clutched your head, bringing your knees to your chest. Your body shook, each tremor pushing you deeper into this toxic headspace. You whimpered.

'Take your own advice then! Don't get attached when you know you are disposable! They will leave and take their 'love' with them. Especially Dabi. He's only around for your quirk and to him, that's all you are. An easy way to get rid of his pain and problems. It's the same with the rest of them. You're just their little machine.'

You quickly dug through the nightstand, searching for something to distract yourself. You knew that if you didn't, you'd do something you'd regret. Again.

Youfound your earbuds and quickly popped them into your ears, turning the volumeon your phone up to drown out everything else. Thankfully, that was enough toease your mind and put you to sleep.