Chapter Twenty-Eight

The doctor entered the room, clipboard in hand. He looked at the two of you and waited for you to settle before speaking. "I assume you've already been told the diagnosis, but as a doctor, I must tell you this information." You looked down. "I understand..." The doctor looked down at the clipboard. "You did, unfortunately, have a miscarriage. We attempted to register heartbeats from the fetuses, but we could not detect any signs of their heartbeats. But I have to ask. Was there any decrease in fetal movement before this occurred?" Dabi looked over at the Doctor. "We noticed only hours before, but we just thought they were tired since she was also very tired." The doctor nodded. "I see. It is common for there to be low fetal movement during periods of rest, but no movement previously could be a cause for concern. We have decided to schedule you for an emergency evacuation."

Note: This is when they open the cervix and remove the fetuses from the body. The patient is under anesthesia during the procedure.

You grabbed at the bedsheet, trying to compose yourself. "I see. Thank you, doctor." The doctor headed towards the door. "Of course. You can fill out your discharge papers and then you're free to leave." The two of you fill out the papers and leave. Neither of you speak and just walk in silence back to the base. Once you arrive, you notice everyone sitting quietly in the bar. Toga and Shoto are sitting together while the rest sit around Shigaraki. You hold back your tears as you hurry upstairs. You stop in front of the nursery. You opened the door and stepped inside. The room was nearly complete. The walls were painted shades of blue and grey, two cribs, one grey, one white, sat next to each other. Above them were the mobiles.

The grey and white mobiles that Dabi had made.

The chandelier-like mobiles were beautiful. Blue flames danced, hidden by light blue stained-glass coverings. You collapsed in the middle of the room, holding your stomach as you cried. A few seconds later, you felt arms wrap around your torso. Dabi sunk down to the floor in front of you, holding you tightly. Everyone else watched quietly from the doorway.

...

The dim light of a lamp illuminated Aizawa's face. "Hawks, you aren't being serious..." The red winged man sighed. "I'm sorry, Eraser. It's the truth." Aizawa looked down, his hair covering his face from view. "You can leave now." Once he knew Hawks was gone, he buried his face in the palms of his hands as the tears welled up in his eyes. "My grandchildren...They're gone..." It was then that Eri peered into the room. "Papa, what's the matter?" He didn't move. "..."

...

You had gone into your room alone, locking Dabi out. Everyone watched as Dabi left the base, smoke rising off of him as his quirk acted up. No one knew what to do. Shigaraki had Twice and Toga hide all the baby stuff they had crocheted. He took it upon himself to lock the door to the nursery. Each day, Toga would take food and water to you and attempt to talk to you. Shoto would do the same for Dabi. He would often find Dabi burning trees out in the forest or setting abandoned buildings on fire. Trying to talk to him resulted in either Dabi lashing out angrily or staying eerily silent. Today, he had found him crying over a picture of his mother holding a newborn. Holding Shoto.

Shoto spoke up. "Where did you get that?" Dabi turned to him, pocketing the picture. "I stole it from the house. Now, all it reminds me of is how we managed to fall into that small percent." Shoto looked at him, confusion written across his face. "I don't understand." Dabi's voice shook slightly as he spoke. "Only 0.5% of miscarriages end with the baby not making it." Shoto rose a brow. "How do you know this? I never took you for a researcher." Dabi's brow furrowed. "Mom almost lost you Shoto. She was as far along as (Y/n) was. I remember that bast*rd pushing her to the side and blood hitting the floor. I remember mom screaming in pain as the doctors rushed her away on a stretcher." Shoto watched as Dabi continued to explain. "I remember the doctors telling her how lucky she was. If she hadn't covered her stomach with her arm, he would've pushed her right where your head was. He would've killed you. But you got lucky. So lucky."

Note: The above excerpt is not a canon event. It is completely fictional.

Shoto went silent as he processed the story he had just been told. "...I never knew." Dabi scoffed at him. "Of course you didn't. You were lucky, because life was always good to you. But me?" Dabi turned, lighting up a tree with his quirk as he laughed dryly. "I've had a bad life. If I want something, it's taken from me." Shoto tried to calm him down. "Touya-" Dabi turned around, setting the tree next to Shoto on fire. "No! If I win the fight, I lose the war! I've already lost it all!" Shoto managed to approach him. "No. You still have (Y/n), me, the league, and...mother." Dabi rolled his eyes. "She thinks I'm dead." Shoto looked down. "I...I told her you were alive. She wants to see you very badly." Dabi narrowed his eyes. "Why? She never cared for me." Shoto looked up at him. "That's not true. When I told her, she cried. I held her hand as she said 'My baby...My Touya...He's alive...'. And right now, both you and (Y/n) could benefit from talking to her." Dabi rose a brow. "And how am I supposed to see her? We can't just walk in and she probably knows you became just like me." Shoto shrugged. "We'll have Kurogiri open a portal to her room. Just go before it's too late." Dabi paused. "...I'll think about it. Now let's get back to the base." The two walk back to the base in silence. They arrive 20 minutes later. Dabi heads up to his room. You were laying in the bed. After the talk with Shoto, he knows that you two need to start moving on.

Helaid next to you and pulled you into his chest. "Hey, Shoto told me...my momwants to see me. He told her I was alive." You slowly turned to look at him. "Youshould see her. Let her know that she could've been a..." Dabi sighed. "I want usto go together. My mom...she knows more than you think." You sighed. "When are wegoing?" He shrugged. "I'll have to ask Shoto about mom's schedule at thehospital. The two of you lie together, staring at the ceiling. Sleep doesn't comeeasily for the two of you, but eventually, you both manage to drift off.