Chapter 2

Xia Hong Guang just didn't want to open her eyes, but being a light sleeper, it was really hard for her to go back to sleep. Especially when her aunt was screaming at the top of her lungs saying it's almost midday. She never liked waking up early. But it had been even harder ever since they moved to this house.

It was way near the forest for Hong Guang's liking. No matter how hard she tried to sleep during the night some thick-headed animal will decide that it's its time to shine by screaming at the top of its lunges in the middle of the night and disturb everyone's sleep. Then as soon as the sun light hit the ground the villagers will run into the streets and will start making all sorts of noises like they were counting the seconds to get away from their small sad excuses for homes.

Hong Guang had to keep reminding herself that now she had to call one of those small sad places her home, and this thin layer of hay spread on top of a wooden slab her bed. She wouldn't complain about any of that as long as she could get a good night's sleep to wash away the day's regrets. But she just couldn't, could she?

"A-Huiling, get your sad ass up and help me carry these grains." Oh great! Now her aunt has started calling her by her birth name. Where the hell is A-Juan? Why can't aunt ask her to give a hand. She was sure A-Juan is up and fresh for she knew Xing Juan can sleep through an earthquake like a baby, or more like a dead corpse.

"It's okay, A-Guang must be tired. I'll help you out."

Oh great, oh just great. It was the cherry on top that she needed (sarcasm). To hear the conceited 'perfect husband's' voice early in the morning. And who did he think he is to call her A-Guang. She couldn't fathom why everyone liked the 'perfect' Zhang Yong Zheng. She was the only one who hated her sister's fiancé. And just because of that everyone started saying that she was jealous. But she wasn't. Why would she be? In actuality, she was really glad that she wasn't the one who's going to marry him.

Hearing that irritable voice seemed to have shaken her out of her sleep completely. So, she jumped out of the window hoping no one would notice and headed towards the lake to clean herself.

Even though she meant to head back sooner, surprisingly there was no one near the lake. So, she sat in the lake, submerged neck deep in water, her back resting against a smooth rock and closed her eyes. She was thinking maybe she could get used to this life after all, maybe she can get used to doing household chores, she had to help her mother anyway, now that there are no servants around, maybe it wouldn't be that bad. That's when she heard A-Juan calling for her. She was almost at the lake. It seemed wherever she was Xing Juan could always find her.

"You really know how to slip away from work, don't you?" Xing Juan skipped on to the rock next to hers and squatted. "There's going to be some celebrations at Xiang Qiang. So, I was thinking about visiting the town."

It's a big guest house near the border of Qinghe, which held vibrant celebrations every once in a while. There will be a lot of dancing and food, storytelling and a lot of merchants selling anything you will ever want. They used to go to many celebrations back when they were living at the Xia clan's mansion which was very near to the town in comparison to where they lived now.

It's not just them, a lot of other comparatively wealthy people attended to one or other of these celebrations. Among them taking the lead were young women looking for spouses especially from rich clans. It's not a secret that some disciples from the Nie sect also visited from time to time. Nie clan is the most prestigious clan in Qinghe. And on top of that they are cultivators. Some women are really thirsty for cultivators.

The Xia sisters never went to any of these celebrations looking for a man. They never really liked bothering about marriage or who they were going to end up with. Like their father, they just liked to have fun and enjoy life much to the disappointment of their mother. She scolded them saying they were too reckless and too outgoing. Two things beautiful young ladies should never be. But lucky for them their father was always there to back them up.