Chapter 34 (Part I)

Yong Liang hated this weird position where he kept standing beside the sect leader's chair while the chair remained empty. But it wasn't right for him to sit on it either. But the person before him seemed too grieved to care either way. And if what this person was saying is as grave as he made it sound to be, Yong Liang had no time to waste in thinking about stupid things like that either.

"Master, the Jiang sect will definitely take this matter to heart. Please wait for me for a little while, I will gather some disciples so we can return with you to your village. Shi di, provide this master with a place to rest and offer him some refreshments to have while we get ready.

He hurried out of the main hall to gather disciples and almost screamed at the top of his lungs as Lady Fan sprang out of the curtains. He wanted to scold her, but how could he when she was looking at him with those gleaming eager eyes. Without a doubt, he knew she was listening to the conversation. And he knew exactly what she wanted. So, even before she could ask, he said, "You can come with us."

"Wait, what! Really!?"

"Yes, well, I promised you I'll help you learn. And shouldn't the pupils follow their teacher to learn anyway. But don't blame me for mental or physical damage your first ghost encounter is going to bring you."

"If we really are referring to my first ghost encounter, then I definitely can't blame you for the damage it caused."

"What does that mean?"

"That means I already had had my first ghost encounter."

"Really? When?"

"When I was six. It is like the worst time. You are old enough to know what a ghost is, but still young enough to feel absolutely helpless. There was this hideous ghost that came to our village. It was a powerful one. I saw it the first day it came to our village. We were out late. My brother and I. We were playing with our friends and didn't realise how late it got. And then when we finally realised, we were scared to return home, because we knew our parents would definitely scold us. So, our little brains thought it was a smart idea to wait a little longer so that when we return home, our parents will already be asleep. It didn't occur to us that they would be awake and will be looking for us. We saw it on our way home. It had the most hideous face imaginable." Liu Ya shivered, remembering it. "Thankfully, our father, who was already out looking for us, found us before the ghost could do anything. He called other men to aid when he saw it. They could barely chase it away that night. Then they asked cultivators to get rid of it. I saw it again when the cultivators were fighting it. So, if I see one today, it would be my third ghost encounter."

"Were they Jiang cultivators?"

"No. It was a sect much closer to our village. The Cao sect. Not as well-known. But they were able to get rid of the ghost."

Yong Liang felt a little jealous. He wanted so bad to be a member of the sect that saved Liu Ya's village. Why couldn't it have been the Jiang sect. He was sure if their villagers had asked the Jiang sect, they would have done the same. Or they could have even done a better job than that unknown Cao sect. Well, it couldn't be helped now, could it?

Yong Liang gathered ten disciples, including Liu Ya, making sure that the 4th disciple won't even hear about their night-hunt before they left to the village. He included the other two disciples from the initial trainings class that were accepted to the sect alongside Liu Ya, just so Liu Ya wouldn't think she was getting any special treatment from him and he actually planned to train his students that day. He really acted like her passing the trial was not a big deal. But he was quite impressed by how, despite all the complaining, Liu Ya managed to muster skills to face the trial in such a short time and got accepted to the sect.