Chapter 47

A/N: Guys, I reached 300k words towards the end of this chapter. I'm screaming. But also kinda getting worried, for it is already this many words, but there's a lot more left in my story line to write. *nervously laughing here. Anyway, thank you all so much for your love and support.

It was dead silent. Even the slight music that sought their way through from the surrounding had ceased at this ungodly hour. Whether there were people still in the streets or not, it was not possible to tell.

Hong Guang understood too well why the owner told them that this specific building of the grand guesthouse was a favourite among monks and cultivators who preferred to be in meditation. It was away from other buildings and almost built into the forest providing that secluded atmosphere some might prefer.

But at that moment Hong Guang hated that silence. Sitting face to face with Chun Hua with only a small candle to light their room, she could even hear her own heartbeat and Chun Hua's ragged breathing. They both were on the verge of insanity with anticipation and worry. They knew the killers would come. They would be there any minute.

They stayed there in silence, not daring to even talk. There was no news from the others. They had no idea where the others even were. But they have asked them to stay in that room and neither of them dared disobey in fear that they'd end up making a fatal mistake that would hurt them or others. Chun Hua was almost drowsing off when Hong Guang heard the first noise.

It came from the roof. Like something heavy was walking on it. Then came another from the side. It sounded like they were trying to slowly pry open a distant window rather than bashing it down. Hong Guang found it almost comedic. Spending all this time with cultivators, there's one thing Hong Guang had learned. There senses were really sharp. So, if the killers were trying to sneak in, they were not anywhere near as subtle as they needed to be. If she and Chun Hua could hear that, the others certainly could.

Seemed like they figured that out too. A big bash came and the sound of wood panels hitting the ground followed. Chun Hua gave a whimper and squeezed her eyes shut. Hong Guang despite her own fear, felt protective of the other girl. She reached out and held Chun Hua's arms in her hands. But it didn't get any better.

First, they could hear footsteps. Heavy. Maybe they were not trying to be sneaky at all. "Hong Guang," Chun Hua whispered. Worry shaping her face. Was it for them or the others? It wasn't like they had figured out how to stop their golden cores from getting paralysed. Chun Hua and Hong Guang had no way of telling, but it was possible that they have already lost their spiritual energies. Which meant they were already in a great disadvantage.

Walking changed into running. Then there were clashing of steel and groans as the fights irrupted. Chun Hua clasped her hands in a prayer. "Don't worry," Hong Guang whispered, trying to reassure both of them. "Master Wei... master Wei still can summon spirits to fight."

But they still couldn't hear the flute. What was he waiting for? The fighting had already started. Now the sound of it had become almost deafening. They could feel every boom vibrate through their body. It was getting closer and closer. Why was Wei Wu Xian still not using his powers? Zewu Jun was still in bed. Master Wen had already left for the Nightless City with Jing Yi and Si Zhui. The only ones that could fight were master Wei, Hanguang Jun, some Nie disciples and if they are really being generous, sect leader Nie. Thinking about it, Hong Guang felt like the odds of them surviving were really low.

"Hong Guang," Chun Hua whispered, breaking Hong Guang out of her thoughts, only to hear how close the footsteps sounded. They were almost in front of their door. Before Hong Guang could even react, the door to their room flew open.

"Second brother..." Huai Sang said nervously. He could see the nervousness in Xi Chen's eyes which was not much of a contrast to how he himself was feeling. He soaked the cloth in the basin and pressed it along Xi Chen's neck hoping to give his fever ridden body a bit of a relief. But he himself was feeling the effect of the golden core paralysing. His own body felt like it was struggling with a slight fever. And as the effect grew, all of them were only going to feel worse and worse. What happened in Burial Mounds at least didn't make them feel sick.