Chapter 13

"Are you alright?" After hearing Yong Zheng's voice in the other room, Hong Guang found it easy to breath normally again. So, he followed her after all.

"M... Ma... Master. You are Master Zhang, right?" It was a female voice. So weak and high pitched with terror. Hong Guang's curiosity got the better of her and she ran into the other room.

It was a young girl. Probably her sister's age or a year or two older. She was staring at Yong Zheng and was trembling head to bottom.

"Please... please don't hurt me. I don't know anything. Please," the girl pleaded. Yong Zheng reached out his hand towards her and she shrank away from it screeching, "PLEASE."

Hong Guang ran forward and kneeled in front of her. "Hey, we won't hurt you, don't be scared. I promise."

The girl looked at her for a few seconds looking puzzled. Then she grabbed her hand, "Oh my God, lady Xia, you are alive as well. You have no idea how much I'm thankful to see you."

Hong Guang was immediately ashamed. This terrified girl knew who she was, but she had no idea who the girl was. "Ah, I'm thankful that you are safe as well. Can you tell us what happened? Where are the others. What about your family."

At the mention of her family, a look of horror crossed her face and it turned into sorrow immediately after. "I... ah... my..."

Suddenly a sound came from near the window which startled them all. Yong Zheng squatted next to them. "Hey, can you stand up? Can you walk? I'd rather get out of this house. If anyone came, this house is not going to be much of a protection. So, I'd rather have an open field if I had to fight. And I don't want to leave Xing Juan alone for that long either. We should go back to where she is."

They both took hold of an arm each and helped the girl to walk with them. She looked really relieved to get out of that house as well. As they went near where they left Xing Juan, she came running to great them. "Oh, maiden Wang, is that you? Are you all right?"

"Lady Xia, Lady Xia, I..." and she broke down. Tears came down like streams from her eyes. Hong Guang had never seen someone sob so loudly. She was thankful that her sister seemed to know who the girl was. It would be a comfort to this girl to have someone she was familiar with.

They all waited patiently until she calmed down. After her sobbing stopped and her tears slowed down, she started to talk.

"I wasn't home when this happened. My mother told me that we were running a little short on money, so it would be best if we could manage a meal or two without having to buy anything. So, I went to the river to catch some fish. The current was strong, and it took me a while to catch any.

When I came back, the whole village was silent. It felt so wrong, so I came to the edge of the forest and hid myself in the bushes. I couldn't see anyone walking by or even talking. It was so silent. I saw something in the middle of the road. At first, I couldn't make out what it was. How could I have even imagined such a thing in my wildest dreams. I didn't even dream that it would have been dead bodies that I was seeing.

Only my curiosity did give me the courage to leave the forest behind. And only when I came near that I saw what was lying on the road. I can't even remember whether I screamed. I couldn't have. I might have been too scared to even scream. Thankfully so, because if I did, they would have heard me."

"Who would have heard you?" Hong Guang could not stop but press her for information. She was getting angrier by the minute.

"I didn't see at first. I ran straight to my house not even caring to look at the other bodies I passed. I just wanted to know where my family was or whether they were okay." Her crying increased.