Chapter 29

Hong Guang looked at Yong Zheng, who was waiting at the counter, wondering whether she could ever be able to stay so calm and composed in front of such a scary monster. He picked up the food tray the tavern cook had prepared and carried it to the table Hong Guang was sitting at. She despised Chun Hua for not being there and deciding to stay in bed, because now she had to be alone with Yong Zheng at least for dinner, but she knew her friend was too tired and shocked and rest was the best medicine she could get at that moment. So, she grudgingly decided to forgive her.

The smell of the food was so mouth-watering. She gobbled a few spoonfulls down before she remembered she was a lady, among a group of young men. She self-consciously looked around. She caught two of Yong Zheng's friends secretly glancing at her. They quickly turned as she looked at them, which made her certain it wasn't only the two of them that kept glancing and would keep glancing at her throughout the night.

"Hong Guang, don't mind them. I have told them about you from time to time, so I guess they are kind of curious now that they get to finally meet you."

"Yeah, right." Hong Guang rolled her eyes. But she kind of felt reassured to hear those words. "Anyway, aren't you hungry? You still didn't touch the food."

"I... Yes, I guess. But I wanted to let you eat first. You were somewhat pale when we found you. Not in a bad way. You looked a bit tired." He quickly added, remembering Hong Guang's temper.

Nonetheless, Hong Guang scowled at him for a few seconds before deciding to let it go. "By the way, you still didn't tell me how you got to that cave at that time."

"Well, you should thank your sister for that."

"Really? Well, where is she anyway?"

"She's in Yueyang. I left her there because I was unsure where we were going. You know how she hates not having a proper roof above her, especially at night. She didn't like staying behind. She must be worried sick by now. I promised her I would return sooner, but it took me longer than I anticipated to find you."

"What worried sick? I'm sure she's fine." Hong Guang realised a bit too late that that was unnecessarily harsh. But she still hadn't forgiven Xing Juan for leaving with Yong Zheng instead of coming with her.

"Hong Guang, don't say that. You have no idea how desperate she was to find you. She begged me so much to return to the village and look for you."

"So, you gathered your friends from the Zhang clan and came all the way back just to look for me."

"No."

Hearing that 'no' Hong Guang's heart fell. So, it seems she wasn't the reason they came back.

"We didn't even go to the Zhang clan."

"Huh?" She definitely didn't expect to hear that. After picturing her sister on a luxurious divan in her in-laws' mansion so many times, her brain refused to comprehend the fact that they didn't even go there. "So, you are telling me that you didn't even..."

"Yes, she was feeling really down after you two fought. I think she was trying her best to not care and go on with our plan, because she knew that it would be best for you if we could return to the village with much help as we can gather. But I guess at one point the concern got the best of her, and she begged me to turn back and follow you to the village. So, all we could do was send a message to my friends asking for help, hoping they would reach there in time. But by the time we reached the village, you were already gone. You have only left a few hours before, though. So, at first we thought we might be able to find you at the town."

"Yeah, we just stayed there only for like three days. Neither of us really wanted to be there. We would have left sooner, if not for the people helping with the burial. It was impolite to leave while they were there. And we didn't stay in the town. We left to this village Dong told us about."