Chapter 28

A/N: Warning. There are some gruesome murders ahead.

Why? Why can't he feel anything? It's just not possible. How could this be. No. Noooo.

Jiang Cheng's breath got stuck in his throat. His eyes bulged from the pressure, which managed to pop them open. He finally managed to breathe again. He panted into the darkness of his own room. His whole body felt weak, and he was shaking. He was vaguely aware that he was drenched with sweat. But no, none of that mattered.

"Oh my God, Jin Ling!!!" He jumped out of his bed. The single candle he left on his table had already burnt out. He scrambled in his room, trying to find his robes bumping into small benches and whatnot. He had to find out. He had to find out whether A-Ling was okay. He didn't care whether it was past midnight. He didn't care whether Jin Ling wanted him there or not. He had to know that Jin Ling was okay. He felt like every second he spends not knowing was dragging him towards his death.

He finally managed to look decent and grabbed Sandu, thankfully always carefully kept in its original resting place, so unlike his robes, and ran out of his room and headed to the front yard not wanting to spare any second so he could fly straight to the Carp Tower without wasting any time.

Or at least he tried. For as soon as he was out of his room, his arm was grabbed by a disciple stopping his proceed. He immediately tried wrenching his arm out from that grip.

"Yong Liang, if you value your life for god's sake, let go of me." His brain had somehow recognized the desperate face that was looking at him. But he didn't care. All he wanted was to see Jin Ling.

"Sect leader, please! You should come with me."

"WHY THE HELL SHOULD I..." The sounds... Where were those sounds coming from? It was vague, but it sounded like there was a big gathering of people a certain distance away. But that's impossible. Who would throw a gathering at this god forsaken hour?

"Sect leader, you shouldn't dally. Please hurry up."

"Why? What is it?" Jiang Cheng meant to sound as annoyed as possible, but somehow, his voice was weak with worry. That sound couldn't really mean anything good.

"It... sect leader, it is hard to explain. I think you should see it for yourself." And without waiting for him to respond, Yong Liang turned and led the way.

Like Jiang Cheng expected, Yong Liang was leading him towards the sound, and every step he took closer to it, the fear grew even further. It didn't sound like just a gathering. Sometimes, it would go completely silent and then small voices, but here and there, he could hear a scream or two as well. Even though every step he took, the sound got clearer, it was dying down as well, like some exciting thing occurred, and now it's over. People's sounds of exclamations and awe were dying as well.

Yong Liang was leading him towards disciple dormitories. This particular building is for newly recruited male disciples. He couldn't imagine what could possibly happen in there for people to be awake at this time of the night and be making so much noise.

Yong Liang led him upstairs, but a quick examination proved Jiang Cheng that there was no one on the ground floor. The rooms were empty. So, they must all be upstairs. He spotted the first disciple sitting on the stairs. He stared back at Jiang Cheng with glassy eyes, but he didn't talk nor great him. It looked like he made an attempt to stand up, though. But it was a vague movement. In his hurry, Jiang Cheng couldn't be sure.

When he could see the first floor, he saw many disciples there. Surprisingly, some senior disciples were there as well. Even though some were scattered around, most of them were gathered around the entrance to one room. But they seem to be staying a little away from it, seemingly unwilling to go near.