Chapter 10

"Who was dying?"

"A tiger," Xia Hong Guang replied, shifting her legs from underneath her to a more comfortable position. Dong threw a sharp look at her. But no matter how many times Dong warned her to stay still, she couldn't hold the same posture for much longer. Especially when they were trying to balance on this uncomfortable wall.

They were sitting on a short wall, spying on the people inside a house. They were well hidden from the people inside because of the darkness and some trees. Therefore, they could also barely see the people inside. Actually, they couldn't see them at all would be a more accurate description. So, spying is not even a suitable word to describe it. They were just keeping an eye on them.

"A tiger?" Dong asked confused. Hong Guang had been telling her about the stranger she met at the museum.

"It was another painting. There were no wounds in its body, but you can tell from its face that it's dying. I hated that painting. Seriously, why do people feel the need to capture such sadistic moments? The master said he hated such things as well."

Dong was someone who lived in the brothel. But she was not like the other women. You can never see her with a man. She mostly sells information, and do other things like what they were doing right now for money. Hong Guang liked her, but she never really bothered to know exactly how Dong lived. Dong didn't elaborate either.

Even though Xia sisters never really cared about status and would talk and make friends with any nice soul, their other friends never really liked mingling with someone lower than them. And it seemed they were especially scared of Dong. But then, many people were scared of Dong. Mostly because she seemed to know about everything to the point others called her Da Dong (intelligent Dong). Some people even thought that was her name. And there were rumours that she would do anything for money. Hong Guang never believed them.

But, because of this, when she wanted to spend time with Dong, she could never do it while hanging out with her other friends.

Xing Juan never really liked Dong's personality, but she never stopped her sister from occasionally hanging out with her.

"I shouldn't have been frightened in the first place. I should have known the moment I heard his voice that he was a gentleman," Hong Guang added.

"You can't tell a personality by a voice."

"I think you can. Voice. Face. They usually go with a personality. And if his voice didn't confirm it, his face did. His face held obvious kindness. And on top of that, he is good looking too."

"So says the girl that is going to get completely fooled by a face someday."

"Are you willing to bet on it?"

"So, you are saying you don't like that Zhang man because there's something wrong with his face?"

"I never said that. There's nothing wrong with Yong Zheng's face, or voice. It's just him. He is just wrong. I don't know. He just makes me cringe so badly every time I see him."

"The whole village said it was a blessing that Xing Juan found such a man. I did a little research. The Zhang Clan is really not a joke. They are totally well off. It is a very old cultivational sect as well. Well known for their archery skills. I think you are just jealous that you are no longer your sister's top priority anymore. Grow up kiddo."

"I'm not," she protested. But looking at Dong's serious face, she couldn't help but have second thoughts. "Maybe I am," Hong Guang said determining to sort out her feelings. She would have complained if anyone else called her kiddo. But Dong was older than her, and telling her not to call her kiddo would have been a complete waste.