Chapter 42 (Part I)

"Ayo Lan Zhan, what's wrong with Si Zhui?" Wu Xian asked tapping his nose in disappointment. He felt second hand embarrassment from Si Zhui's new found disability to speak. He could immediately tell that Si Zhui wanted to defend his friends. But how in the hell was he planning to do that if he couldn't even bring himself to speak.

They have thought that it would be better for Si Zhui and Zi Zhen to go and talk to their friends first. Seeing how scared Si Zhui and Zi Zhen was to talk to them, it was not very hard to assume how scared and reluctant the ones who actually committed the crime would feel. They have waited outside the tavern a little away from the entrance so no one would notice. But with their intensified hearing, they could still hear what was going on inside. But clearly, their plan was not working.

"Lan Zhan, do you think we should go in?"

"Mmm."

So, Wu Xian walked in with the most cheerful smile he could manage (which is saying a lot) knowing Wang Ji was following close by. "Good day to all these young masters who seems to be in a very serious discussion."

Si Zhui looked confused why they walked in so soon but nonetheless was very relieved.

"HAN... Guang... Jun......" Jing Yi's smile and voice faded away as he remembered his favourite adult might end up hating him for what he did.

"Uncle..." The relieved and hopeful eyes of Jin Ling initially upon seeing him faded into annoyance, making Wu Xian wonder what was going inside that kid's head. "WEI WU XIAN!?"

"Wow aunty Jin, if you raised your voice a little more, it would be loud enough to wake the whole Jin sect up every morning." Wu Xian meant to lighten the mood with his joke, but it only resulted in Jin Ling's face getting darker. So, he quickly changed the subject. "Why has our Si Zhui turned so red? Oh no, don't tell me that one of you poisoned him!" he said while pointing around the gathered group with ChenQing.

Since Hanguang Jun was present no one dared to raise their voice. Wang Ji pulled out a chair for Wu Xian and took the next chair for himself. Wu Xian sat down and ordered some wine. And then comfortably looked around not seemingly bothered by the mini Jin army surrounding them. "Ah, Jin Ling, I didn't know that the Jin sect makes their disciples stand in such a funny way. Why are they standing in a circle when there's perfectly good chairs to sit comfortably?"

This time, it was too much for Jin Chan to keep his mouth shut. "They are not standing in a funny way. They are guarding criminals."

"Criminals? I do not see any criminal here. Hey, are you kids referring to me?" Wu Xian asked with a frightened look, pointing to himself. "I was proven innocent months ago."

"You seem quite playful senior Wei." Mei Mei said somewhat annoyed with this adult who was making jokes in such a serious situation. "I am pretty sure that you are aware of what has happened, since it is the hot topic of the town, but just in case you have missed it, young master Jin and young master Lan had committed a murder. This is not a simple situation."

"Well, given the history of the Jin sect, I would say that murdering one person is not that big of a deal." Wang Ji's stare made Wu Xian realise he went a little too far with that comment. "Fine, what I'm saying is, yes, we shouldn't take a murder so lightly. But did you ask why they did it?"

"That doesn't bring the dead back." Jin Chan said angrily.

"But even the most gruesome criminals are given a chance to speak for themselves." Zi Zhen spat back at him.

"Yes, young master Ouyang, you are indeed correct." Wu Xian said determined to learn that kid's name.

"But how do we know that they wouldn't lie?'