Chapter 50 (Part II)

A/N: Happy 2024 y'all. This is my new year gift for you. Sorry that it's one day late and I really didn't have time to read and edit it. 

I really hope all of us can stay safe and healthy this year and the world would not plumet into any more chaos. We don't have cultivators to keep us safe. :,(

Enjoy the story and enjoy the new year. May all your wishes truly come true. 

"What do you mean?" the disciple he pulled back asked him with a frown, clearly not happy about being pulled back like a child especially by the ghost general.

"Ah... well... it is a punishment used by the Wen sect."

"A punishment?" Si Zhui asked.

"I have never heard of it." Jing Yi stated.

"Well... it is rarely used, because... because it's so hard to make the metal bars rise to that level of heat. But it doesn't change colour like when you normally heat metal. So, it is hard to even notice that they are so hot. It takes a lot of energy and time to do that. And... and you should have great skills too. It is also very hard to reverse. It's impossible to take the energy away from it unlike the flames at the door. So... so only really bad criminals were trapped inside cages made out of these."

"But there has to be a method, right?" A Nie disciple asked. "There has to be a method to take out the heat or break the bars, right? I mean, they must have somehow taken the prisoners out of those cells." He looked at Wen Ning hopefully.

"I have never seen anyone being released from those cages." Wen Ning said hopelessly. "Only criminals that were sentenced to death were trapped in cages like these. And even then, only a very few who had managed to really really anger Wen Rou Han. They will be trapped inside small cages made from these heated metal bars until they go insane by trapped into that small space and finally deicide to grip the bars. I still remember how this one man screamed as his hands melted. He only grip the bar for a few seconds but the flesh on one hand was melted to the core and I saw a few of his fingers on the other hand fell to the ground before I managed to look away. But they won't let us leave. It was Wen Xu that came up with the idea of making me and my sister watch this. And... and... despite all that pain, it didn't even take him and hour before he gripped the bars again trying to free himself." Wen Ning had gone even paler with the memory.

"But senior Wen, how do you know if these bars are the heated bars used for those caves? These can be regular bars that we can actually break. It might require a lot of energy. But my bet is, Wen Rou Han never expected this many cultivators to be trapped in here, and he sure didn't expect us to have the extremely strong ghost general by our side either." Jing Yi said hopefully.

Si Zhui didn't feel as hopeful as his friend did. "Jing Yi, look at the air immediately surrounding those bars. Look at how they shimmer like air right above a fire does. I think senior Wen is right about the bars."

"So, what are you expecting us to do?" A Nie disciple asked. "Wait until our sect leaders realise that we are not coming back so they decide to send someone to rescue us? Senior Yang is badly hurt. We can't just keep him here without any treatment. He will not last long without any medicine. If you are planning to just forget about him and let him die like this, just remember y'all would be dead by now without his sacrifice."

"Hey, if your shidi didn't lose his footing, none of this would have happened anyway." A Lan disciple snapped back not caring about his sect's image or rules anymore. Why care about them when they were going to dye a painful death trapped in there anyway."

"Why? Are you saying that all you Lan are sooo much better than my shidi?"

"Well, nobody forced anybody to come now, did they?" Jing Yi asked the fighting disciples harshly. Your senior Yang clearly told you only to follow us if you are sure about your footing. So, everybody has only themselves to blame for getting trapped here."