Chapter 38 (Part I)

"Wang Ji, master Wei, may I ask from you another favour?"

"Zewu Jun, if I get one piece of land here for every favour you ask from me, I would be owning the whole Cloud Recesses by now." Wu Xian clearly meant it as a joke to lighten the mood. But it resulted in Lan Xi Chen looking taken aback and Wang Ji throwing him a warning scowl.

"Master Wei, I would not be asking you this if I had another option. I hope master Wei knows that."

"Ah, sect leader Lan, why are you being like this. I know I know. Plus, we are all doing our best, aren't we?

"Brother, what do you want us to do?"

"Well, as you know even though we went through the library books for several days, we could not figure out anything in particular. Either we do not have any resources referring to this particular situation, or we are overlooking something very obvious. Either way, that is not good. So, grandmaster and I thought we should consult someone who might be able to help us. So, grandmaster thought it's best for us to ask master Xu as he is very knowledgeable in many fields. Wang Ji you might not remember master Xu because you were very young when he left the Lan sect, but he used to be one of my teachers. Grandmaster thinks he might be able to help or give us some advice. So, I would like for you and master Wei to go and meet him."

"Brother, if you do not mind me asking, why did master Xu leave the sect?"

"Well, do not worry. He did not leave the sect in any sort of disagreement. Grandmaster told me that he wanted to inhabit his family mansion not wanting it to be abandoned after his brother passed away. He is the last member of his clan. It is really a pity as it is a clan with a very rich history. It is not a cultivational clan nor do they take disciples. But they also have a rich collection of books and other sort of records from many fields. I really hope master Xu would take in some disciples at least to continue the clan as he has no other family member."

"Then we should have met him earlier and gotten him involved in our research. It would have benefited us more." Wu Xian said again not thinking that much about the words coming out of his mouth.

"Well, master Wei, I was going to tell you this. The thing is, we are not sure whether master Xu is willing to help."

"Brother, what do you mean?" Wang Ji asked puzzled.

"Zewu Jun, didn't you say that he didn't leave with any anger?"

"Yes, I said that. But the thing is, if you think that our grandmaster is strict and moody, master Xu is even more so. He is not that much of a friendly person and like to be left alone. So, it will be hard to make him comply. You should be really careful and patient when talking to him and always show utmost respect."

"Ah, Zewu Jun, if so, I don't think I'm the man for this job. You must know how I am terrible at these kinds of things. Why don't Zewu Jun go yourself."

"Ah, master Wei, I... well I think it's better for me to be here..."

"But didn't Zewu Jun say that master Xu is a man who is so hard to warm up to? And since Zewu Jun was one of his students, wouldn't it be better if Zewu Jun go and meet him. He would welcome a friendly face than some strangers. Maybe Zewu Jun should go with Lan Zhan."

Lan Xi Chen looked at his brother hoping he would take his side. But Wang Ji just sat there with eager eyes. "Ah, no, I think Wang Ji and master Wei can do a better job than me. Plus... I promised sect leader Jiang I would travel to Lotus Pier to help him put up barriers. It seems the Lotus Pier is in much trouble. So, I'd better help sect leader Jiang out as soon as possible."

They both could see that Xi Chen blurted that as an excuse than a valid reason. But not pushing him further, they accepted their little mission and took their leave. They decided it would be better if they leave as soon as possible. So, they went back to the silent room to pack up so they could leave early next morning, meaning as soon as Wu Xian decided to wake up.