Chapter 20

Even all the shouting wasn't enough to prepare her to the scene that unfolded. What she first noticed was a man sitting on the ground clutching his head on the right side of his temple. Even though she couldn't see that well because of the darkness, she could tell by the way he was clutching his head he was badly hurt, even bleeding. There was a mother and a daughter a little way away from the man. They both looked helpless, and the little girl was silently sobbing. Her face was a swollen disaster, which made Hong Guang think maybe the child was crying hysterically moments ago and now was silenced either because she had no more energy to cry or was scared into silence.

There were three men and not so surprisingly one was holding a big club. The men were scolding with raised voices. By the look of it, the father owed them something. Money? Crops? She couldn't really tell.

"WILL IT KILL YOU TO GIVE US A LITTLE MORE TIME?" It seemed the mother had had enough and finally burst out. Her scream was high-pitched, and Hong Guang was sure the three men could never compete with that loudness. But it was also clear that it wasn't strength that fed that voice but fear.

The man with the club raised it. "This wench really doesn't know her place now, does she? I will teach you how you should treat gentlemen like us."

The woman was shocked into stillness. It was obvious that she couldn't do anything to dodge the club. If it landed, it might even kill her on the spot.

"Don't you dare!" Uh, oh. Oh no. It was clearly too late when Hong Guang realised that by shouting, the only thing she was doing was adding another head to the beating. This wasn't a story that someone was telling her, while they were seated next to a warm fire. This was real, and getting involved means putting yourself in danger as well. But it was too late to back out now. She realised that this is why no one else is around. They didn't want to get hurt by helping these people. But what else can she do? Run? She was sure they could catch her.

'Okay, Hong Guang, since there's no escape, while you are at it, why don't you do your best to teach these heartless monsters a lesson.'

"Are you really this weak to the point you have to beat a woman to show how strong you are? I thought that gentlemen usually had a lot of patience. But this could only mean one of these two things. Either the rest of the world is wrong with their definition of gentlemen, or you are some good for nothing fakes."

"I was going to let this go, but you really wanted to teach us a lesson, didn't you? Well, tell you what, girl. We are gentlemen, and as gentlemen, we always pay back for anything we receive. So, it's only fair if we teach you a lesson too." The speaker took the club from the one who was holding it and walked towards Hong Guang.

But, for once, Hong Guang had no fear in her mind, for it was filled with anger and disgust. "Oh, is your pride that badly hurt that you have to beat someone to restore it?"

The blow came, but Hong Guang managed to stop it by gripping the man's wrist. She saw that the man was surprised. He clearly hadn't expected her to fight back. But the small victory she felt soon vanished as the man gripped her wrist with his other hand and yanked it away. He didn't let go, and no matter how hard Hong Guang tried to release it, she couldn't. She realised with a bolt of fear that she could not compete with the man's strength. Her strength was nowhere near it.

With the grip on her wrist, the man threw her to the ground. She knew she was doomed. There's nothing she could do to fend any blow this time.

But the last person she expected would be able to help her, came to her rescue. Well, Hong Guang wasn't really sure why the child started to cry so loud at that moment, but it definitely drew the man's attention away from her. But again, to what end? Now, the man was going towards the child.