Chapter 48

"Seriously, don't you guys feel any pain? Are your legs made out of iron?"

Chun Hua looked at the other girl who had been complaining about her hurting legs for a while. They had been walking for hours now. And Huai Sang didn't seem to be in a mindset to stop just yet. She went near him and whispered into his ear. "Can't we at least sit down somewhere for ten minutes?"

"Chun Hua, it is for the best that we do not stop. I told you. We would reach that village in a while. We can ask for their shelter and rest for a while. No good is going to come out of just sitting down for ten minutes. When you get up, your legs are going to hurt just the same."

"Then you two go ahead," Hong Guang said, making them jump. They didn't expect her to have come closer and eavesdrop.

They had been heading back to their village. But they had been taking side roads, always walking, trying not to attract any attention. Huai Sang had planned well for their nights. He made sure that they won't have to spend a single night outside. He had picked out many houses and villages that had had received the favour of the Nie sect one time or another, and had asked them to let them spend a night as a favour, without spreading any word of their whereabouts.

 That night after the attack, Jiang Cheng had pressed on for more and more information, boring Chun Hua to drowse. Xi Chen was sent to another room to get the rest and sleep he so badly needed. But Hong Guang somehow could not help her thoughts from swirling inside her head, keeping her very much awake, even when the fear caused through the fight had managed to drain her a lot.

And sect leader Jiang asking her again and again not so kindly whether she could think of something didn't help it either. Jin Ling seeing that Hong Guang was uncomfortable, tried to make his uncle more lenient towards her. But it was not exactly sect leader's rude tone that was making her uncomfortable. It was her own thoughts.

Sect leader Jiang's persistence made her feel guilty for not wording them. But... but... her sister! To be honest, it was something that nagged at Hong Guang's mind ever since the second attack. It was this one thing that she couldn't get off of her mind no matter how hard she had tried to shove it away or convince herself otherwise.

But to word it, she felt like she'd be betraying her sister. She did not give a damn about that Yong Zheng. As long as he treated her sister well, she could promise not to shred him to pieces. But what about her sister? She knew if Xing Juan heard what she was about to say... she could clearly see the expression her sister would have on her face... she would never forgive her.

But after sect leader Nie brought up the stones, her concerns only started growing and festering more. And... and if that Zhang is really a bad person, wouldn't her sister also be in danger? She would just be neglecting her sister's safety. If Yong Zheng was doing something bad, her sister would never agree to it. Her sister might look like someone who loved violence and crime, searching about the ghosts, demons and anything dark, not to mention her obsession with the YiLing Patriarch... But inside, she was someone who had a really soft heart and cared deeply about people. So... so... if Yong Zheng was really involved in this and if she somehow found out, wouldn't she be in grave danger? Therefore, did she really had room to think about how Xing Juan would feel about her badmouthing Yong Zheng? If it really does come down to her sister's safety, she would rather tarnish that Yong Zheng's name again and again even if he didn't deserve it.

"Ah... I... I'm not sure about this, but..."

They all stopped talking and turned towards her wanting to know what she wanted to say. The sudden lack of noise even made Chun Hua wake up from her little nap. The strength of everyone's gaze made Hong Guang slightly tremble. Her fingertips suddenly ached with cold. She started to question whether she made the right decision. But her sister being in grave danger... hundreds of ways that Yong Zheng could harm her sister went through her head. Plus, now that everyone's attention was on her, it wasn't like she could back away from it anyway.