Chapter 50 (Part I)

"Are you sure you are alright?" Jing Yi whispered to Si Zhui for the umptieth time as Wen Ning led the whole group back to the library.

"Jing Yi, I really am. Stop tugging my sleeve. At this rate, you are going to rip it off."

"Oh, sorry." Jing Yi let go of the sleeve, but he still kept staring at his friend's pale face as they walked.

He had found both Wen Ning and Si Zhui drenched in sweat. He didn't even know that Wen Ning could sweat. Si Zhui was really pale too. As with Wen Ning, it was really hard to tell whether he was paler than usual with his already pale grey complexion. So, he couldn't stop worrying about them even though Si Zhui had told him a dozen times that 'they had felt stuffy in the library and had come out to get some air. That's all. And now that they have gotten some air, they feel completely fine'. Jing Yi couldn't trust Si Zhui's words. Libraries sure are stuffy. Jing Yi knew that better than anyone. But even he didn't look this pale after coming out of their library after coping scripts for hours as punishments. But since Si Zhui nor Wen Ning would elaborate, the only thing he could do was assure them that they didn't find any threat or enemy roaming outside. Either they were well hidden (which Jing Yi refused to believe. Like, who could hide from him?) or there really was no one inside the Nightless City.

Wen Ning opened the door to the library, which opened much easier this time, and walked in, kind of feeling guilty and self-conscious for leaving while the others were still working. They all seemed to be fed up and exhausted into mush by reading.

"Did you guys find anything?" Jing Yi asked excitedly. But he only got scowls from the Nie disciples, who thought his tone was too bossy, or disappointed or exhausted looks from the Lan sect who were annoyed at themselves for not being able to find anything useful.

One of their shidis came to them with a thick book. "Seniors, look at this. Doesn't this book carry a promising title? 'All the greater demons to ever exists with unique powers.' I was so happy when I spotted it. I looked so promising when I started reading as well. But this book must be really teasing us. Maybe it's the Wen sect's trick. Even their books are so evil and keep mocking us."

"How in hell, is a book mocking you?" Jing Yi asked annoyed by his junior's absurd words.

"Senior Jing Yi, I am serious. Look, this book says there is this kind of demon or there used to be that kind of demon. Look at this page. It says there are demons that could kill in a collective manner. They could make their enemies rot. Isn't that what keeps happening now? But that's the thing. It only says this much. There's nothing more here. And look at this book." He grabbed the book his friend was holding. "It says that there are ways to paralyse the golden core. BUT IT DOESN'T SAY HOW."

He immediately shut his mouth knowing he had raised his voice breaking rules in front of his seniors. But Si Zhui and Jing Yi pretended not to notice, as they felt his frustration was justifiable.

Si Zhui turned to Jing Yi and his group. "This had been the case since earlier. These books seem to tease about information, but doesn't carry anything that is actually useful. Maybe we are just wasting our time here."

"Maybe it is not the Wen sect after all." A Nie disciple replied. "Everyone knows that they have been extinct for decades now." He gave a nasty look to Wen Ning. "Maybe, someone is just missing its good old glorious days and making stuff up. Or even could be misguiding us, so we won't find the truth."

"WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?" Jing Yi would have shot himself at that disciple if Si Zhui was not fast enough to grab him on time.

Si Zhui himself felt angry. Why would these people keep hating Wen Ning? Why can't they see that he is actually a very kind and warm-hearted person? But instead, he kept telling his friend to let it go while trying to drag him away.