Chapter 35 (Part I)

A/N: Happy 2022 my lovlies. May this be the best year yet of your lives. Stay happy and healthy and don't ever forget your value. XOXO

Wei Wu Xian was trying to come up with something fun to do, but no matter how hard he thought, nothing fun would come to his mind. All the activities he could think of felt so bland and boring. He had assumed that since Zewu Jun had officially offered them a break, he and Wang Ji could do something fun together. But Lan Zhan had ditched him, saying there was an urgent matter he had to take care of.

So, now Wu Xian was treading the back hills all alone with only a small jar of emperor's smile to keep him company. And that jar was almost empty. So, Lan Zhan better finish whatever he is doing soon and return back. He wondered where Wen Ning was. Yesterday morning, Jing Yi had informed him that he saw Wen Ning near Caiyi town. So, Wu Xian knew he was somewhere nearby. But he hadn't seen him in days.

He heard a crunch that snaped him out of his brain. He listened and heard footsteps arrive. Wu Xian also went in that direction, wondering who the other person was. A few steps towards the direction revealed Nie Huai Sang struggling up the mountain a bit clumsily. Wu Xian wondered whether he really was clumsy or whether it was also part of the act. His old friend stopped a few steps away from him, probably sensing his presence and looked towards him with a surprised expression mixed with, was it disappointment? Uncertainty? Wu Xian could not exactly tell.

Nie Huai Sang huffed a little until his breath became normal. He was expecting to have some alone time after a long time, and he thought the back hills would be empty because the Lan disciples barely visited it. But of course, he saw it was stupid of him to forget that Wei Wu Xian was in Gusu as well. No secluded place would be safe from him. Now staring at him, Huai Sang wished he hadn't gone there at all. Back then, he loved hanging out with Wu Xian, but now Wu Xian doesn't even seem to want him as a friend.

But surprising him, Wu Xian presented him with one of his warm smiles. "Sect leader Nie, are you taking a stroll as well?"

"Ahhh, Wei Xiong, I mean Master Wei, yes, I wanted to be away from people for a while."

"Haha, sorry to disappoint you then."

"Ah, no, no, not at all. An old friend can't be considered as 'people' now, can he?" Huai Sang searched Wu Xian's face for any distaste at the mention 'old friends', but there was none.

"By the way, sect leader Nie, unlike you, I was so bored and was seeking company. You see, Lan Zhan and I were supposed to hang out together. But he ditched me, saying he had work to do. Lan Zhan and his love for work is just so annoying."

Huai Sang wished he would stop mentioning Lan Wang Ji in such a friendly way. When Lan Wang Ji seemed to dislike Wei Wu Xian and turned him down with such coldness all the time, Huai Sang was afraid that Wu Xian would manage to piss off the second master to the point he would punish them all. But he found this newfound friendship to be even more weird and disturbing. He felt like he would never get used to the thought of a friendly Lan Wang Ji. Lan Wang Ji to him will be ever so scary.

"So, since you said you don't consider me as people," Wu Xian continued oblivious to Huai Sang's thoughts, "Why don't we hang out together."

"Like old times?"

"Yes, why not? Just like old times. And I would prefer if you call me Wei Xiong. We are friends now, aren't we?"

Huai Sang was surprised and looked at Wei Wu Xian only to find him looking at him. Well, it was more like he was searching his face for his reaction. So, did that mean Wei Wu Xian also felt uncertain about their friendship just like he did? He never took Wu Xian to be uncertain about anything. "Ah, Wei Xiong, why don't you call me Nie Xiong as well. I'd prefer if you do. Sect leader Nie sounds so formal. And you know that I'm not a fan of being formal, unlike our Jiang Xiong." Nie Huai Sang immediately regretted mentioning Jiang Cheng in front of Wei Wu Xian. And he was almost sure if Jiang Cheng heard him calling him anything other than sect leader Jiang, he would try to break his legs.