Chapter 7

Looking at the corpses, Wei Wu Xian could see that Jin Ling was right. The skins of all the corpses seemed to be tightly stretched over the bones. Everything else seemed to be sucked up from the inside. And the horrible smell was enough to make a person faint. The density of dark energy was extremely high.

Jin Ling stood further away like he could neither bear the looks nor the smell of the corpses.

Wei Wu Xian went and squatted next to him. He turned his head up and started taking Jin Ling in. His face has become a little less arrogant, which gave him a more matured look. Jin Ling had his arms crossed and was gripping his sword by its sheath, which made it look like he was hugging his sword; his father's sword more than just gripping it. Wu Xian's heart clenched involuntarily.

Jin Ling gave him a sideway glance. "So, what do you think? Can you tell who did it?"

"Not really. Even though there's a lot of demonic energy, the energy itself isn't that strong. So, it is hard to tell a demon did this by itself. Because if a demon is capable of causing this much destructions, it has to be a demon that has a high energy level. So, my guess is someone or something else had used demonic energy to aid them."

"Are you familiar with the cause of death?"

"No, it is indeed very strange. Ah, Jin Ling why are you looking at me like that? Wait, don't tell me, because I'm the YiLing Patriarch that you think I also used such gruesome methods of execution?"

"Does it matter?"

"Of course, it does. Completely forgetting about Jin Guang Yao, let's look at your other uncle. Seems like the only thing he taught you is to have a temper. So, it falls upon me to be your role model and actually teach you some good human qualities and all the good qualities your mother possessed."

Wei Wu Xian was joking, but Jin Ling didn't seem to think so. "What do you even know about my mother?" The moment those words left his mouth Jin Ling felt guilty. He knew Wei Wu Xian was really close to his mother. He just spat that out of annoyance. Wei Wu Xian's words were making him emotional, and Jin Ling hated that. So, trying to change the subject he said, "Do these deaths bare any similarity to the ones reported in the report Hanguang Jun sent to the Carp Tower?"

"Hmm... There are and there aren't." Wu Xian said patting his nose with ChenQing while in thought. "According to what you said earlier, what was written in Huang Guang Jun's report the similarities are, that the dark energy is quite dense, and it has targeted a similar group of people and has killed in a similar manner."

"A similar group of people?"

"Yes. It is a small village set a little afar from big civilizations. And there seems to be no survivors. You even said Lan Zhan mentioned about a rotting smell, right?"

"Right."

"It's hard to tell whether this smell is the same smell he talked about because these corpses are a few days old. But it still seems a little stronger than it should be. However, that is just my guess. The most striking thing is even though there are many deaths, they all died in the exact same way."

"Such a gruesome way to die if you ask me."

"My thoughts exactly."

For the first time, being next to Jin Ling, Wu Xian felt calm, it was almost soothing. Like he was being next to family, not someone who would lash out at him whatever chance he gets. He was thinking what has changed. Is it because now that Jin Ling knew the truth? No, it couldn't be that. Probably it's because Jiang Cheng wasn't around trying to rip his head off. But he felt like he was running away from Jin Ling at times even when Jiang Cheng wasn't around. Oh, no, how could he forget something that crucial?