Chapter 40 (part I)

Wu Xian being impatient threw open the door and ran inside only to be greeted by darkness. He looked around. Was Si Zhui away? And then he glimpsed a candle that is almost about to go out next to his bed. Why was Si Zhui in bed? He sat next to him and shook him a little too aggressively than he anticipated in his panic.

"Ah Si Zhui? Si Zhui? Why are you sleeping? Are you not feeling well?"

"Wei Ying, it's past nine." Wang Ji replied with a sigh. He always found it amusing how Wu Xian can lose track of reality when he gets excited.

"Oh, is it really that late?" Wu Xian whispered back to Wang Ji not wanting to wake Si Zhui now he knew he was just sleeping as usual. "I thought it was only around eight. Ah, Lan Zhan, is this why you scowled at me when I said I wanted to have another jar of emperor smile? I thought you were angry at me getting drunk. But if you said that it's going to be past your bed time, I wouldn't have made you late."

"Did not scowl."

"Lan Zhan, don't lie. How long have we been friends? I can tell when you scowl."

"Wasn't scowling. Did not want to trouble my brother after he had already gone to bed."

"Oh!" Wu Xian stopped himself from saying anything more seeing Wang Ji's expression. It did not change but Wu Xian could see the worry in his eyes. When they went to Hanshi, Lan Xi Chen was there and was wide awake and greeted them with a huge smile. But why was he awake if it was past nine? Was something troubling him? Anyway, Wu Xian decided not to bring the subject up. "Lan Zhan, since Si Zhui is already sleeping, let's leave and come back in the morning."

Wang Ji nodded and both of the turned to leave.

"Senior Wei?!" Si Zhui mumbled in an unsure voice and went silent. They decided to leave thinking he must have gone back to sleep again when they heard shuffling. "Hanguang Jun? Oh, you came back already. I thought you would be gone for weeks." And the next thing they knew, they were smooshed into a big bear hug by Si Zhui.

"We didn't want to be off for so long. So, we came back as fast as we can." Wu Xian said chuckling at his own effort to wiggle out of Si Zhui's arm.

"Si Zhui, it's past nine. Go to bed."

"But Hanguang Jun, I'm not sleepy. Can't you stay for a while."

"You should be asleep."

"Ah, come on Lan Zhan. It's not every day. It's not like it's going to kill him if he stayed past his bedtime for one night. And Si Zhui must have been lonely with his friends all gone."

"Oh, senior Wei, how did you hear about that?"

"We went to see Zewu Jun before coming here. He told us that Jing Yi and Jin Ling went to night hunt. He seems a bit worried that neither of them had sent any message in a while. But I'm sure those brats have completely forgotten to do so. I'm pretty sure there's nothing to worry." Wu Xian said reassuringly.

"But that is the thing. Senior Wei, Hanguang Jun, when Jing Yi and young master Jin left, they were really reluctant about leaving me behind. So, they promised me many many times that they will write to me and tell me about everything that happens, so I won't be missing anything. Jing Yi even promised to make me feel like I am there with them through messages. But we only received two letters from them and it's been days since we heard from them. Hanguang Jun, Senior Wei, I am really worried. I did not want to bother Zewu Jun or grand master regarding this matter since they already have a lot to worry about. But now, seeing that Zewu Jun had informed you about this, I guess he too is really worried. He even warned us that this night-hunt can be really dangerous. It was like he was hoping Jing Yi and young master Jin would also change their minds. But they didn't and I am really worried. Hanguang Jun, senior Wei, if... if you two do not have anything very urgent and important to do, can we please go and look for them?"