Chapter 41 (Part I)

Wu Xian looked at Wang Ji after staring at Si Zhui who was absent mindedly trying to pick rice from his empty bowl. He could not help but worry, but Wang Ji's eyes told him to let it be for the time being. Earlier they were able to somewhat control the situation in the town and as exhausted as they were, they went on to strengthen the barriers.

In doing this they had realised that the barriers had not been as secure as they were supposed to be in the first place making them get damaged and crumple easily than they were supposed to. The process of weaving the protection barrier was quite tricky and complicated and it was not an easy task for even a well experienced high-level cultivator. They could not expect small sects to put up the barrier to its full potential. But it wasn't like they could go to every nook and corner putting up barriers either. This went to show that barriers were only a very temporary solution, which looking at all the sick and dead people cannot even be considered as a solution.

But it was the best they could do at that time, so until Si Zhui appeared again trudging like a drained ghost followed by a hesitant, confused and equally drained Zi Zhen they kept on strengthening the barriers as much as they could. As soon as he saw them, Wu Xian looked around eagerly, to see Jin Ling or Jing Yi but they were nowhere to be seen. "Hey Si Zhui, can't you walk a little faster," he shouted impatiently, and only realised that sounded rude, especially since both of them looked exhausted.

Wang Ji went to meet them instead and Wu Xian followed. "Are you alright?" he kindly asked from both of them to which Zi Zhen answered reassuring both of them they were.

Seeing that Zi Zhen is more prone to answer, Wu Xian turned to him and asked, "Where is Jin Ling and Lan Jing Yi. Didn't you meet them?"

But despite Wu Xian's expectations, Zi Zhen seemed at a loss for words. A wave of discomfort came rushing at him. Something wasn't right. This one's talking skills was only unmatched by Lan Jing Yi himself. So, why wasn't he speaking if something wasn't off?

Seeing Zi Zhen looking at him for guidance, Si Zhui volunteered to answer. It's better he did it himself anyway. He didn't want any complications to occur. "Senior Wei, we saw them. They are alright."

"Why didn't they accompany you?" Wang Ji asked kindly because he knew being strict will only make Si Zhui more defensive.

"Ah... ah... they..." Zi Zhen stuttered.

But Si Zhui looked right into his teacher's eyes and answered, "Hanguang Jun, they had matters at hand. They will be attending them. It is quite alright. They both are well and healthy. No need to worry." After thinking for a second he added, "they do not need our help. So, if Hanguang Jun and senior Wei have completed your work, there is no need for us to linger here."

Wu Xian immediately wanted to dig for more information. It was clear that Si Zhui was hiding something. But at the same time this kid looked like he was about to shatter into tiny pieces and Wu Xian felt so afraid to poke him further. He could see that Wang Ji was also conveying him to let the matter drop for the moment with his eyes.

"If that is so, let us retreat for a rest." Wang Ji said and led the way. He could see Si Zhui heaving a sigh of relief. Even though there was a lot of doubt troubling his mind he decided to trust Si Zhui. Si Zhui had grown into a wise young man. He could trust his decision for once.

They decided to find tavern in the next town as they knew it was not nice to bother people in this town to accommodate them in such a time of trouble. Despite Wang Ji and Wu Xian telling the children that they should have something to eat, they said they are not hungry. Seeing that they were exhausted to even eat they let them go to bed straight away. Even though Wu Xian let out one or two yawns himself, he assured Wang Ji that he rather eat something because he felt like if he went to bed without anything in his stomach he would evaporate the second he closed his eyes. Wang Ji could not help but let off a small smile at the absurd things Wu Xian said. They sat down and had a slow but filling meal while trying to figure out what had happened with the children. But at the end of their meal, they were none the wiser.