Chapter 36

Amid Si Zhui's protests about disturbing others while they were asleep, Jing Yi not wanting to leave his friend's side for too long went to the next door and banged until someone answered and asked them to bring Hanguang Jun to Si Zhui immediately.

"Si Zhui, Hanguang Jun will be here in a few minutes. Shall I bring you warm water? Some tea? Something to eat? Si Zhui, aren't there a few medicine bottles left from what I bought from that town? Maybe you should have some."

"Jing Yi, I'm not sick."

"Yes, you are."

Si Zhui heaved a sigh. "Anyway, why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be asleep?"

"I was just helping our doctor and lady Li woke up screaming. So, I went to get Hanguang Jun and you as well since I thought you would want to be there. Who knew you were terribly sick as well?"

"I'm not terribly sick."

"You look pale as a ghost and your voice is as weak as a mule's."

"A mouse Jing Yi."

"What?"

"Nothing. Hanguang Jun must be busy then. Here. Help me up."

"Where do you want to go?" Jing Yi asked, helping Si Zhui out of the bed. For some reason he felt like his friend's whole body was trembling.

"I will go to the infirmary. I don't want to disturb Hanguang Jun."

"Si Zhui, you are not fit to go anywhere. I already sent disciples to bring Hanguang Jun here. Si Zhui wait..."

Despite Jing Yi's protests, Si Zhui was already out of the door. But then, he hesitated. There was something about the darkness that was so unnerving. He knew Jing Yi was there and would accompany him all the way to the infirmary. But it was so dark. His while body shivered. It wasn't like he wasn't used to be out in the dark. He had sometimes walked inside forests all alone in the dark during night-hunting. But remembering that darkness... But he decided he would rather be with Hanguang Jun and senior Wei. So, the small journey to the infirmary through darkness was a necessary evil that's gonna end before he even notices. He went back for his sword. For some reason, having his sword by his side felt more secure. Then he was out there hanging onto Jing Yi taking one step at a time.

'We are already there, Si Zhui. Come on... one more step,' He kept telling himself. 'Now another. It's okay. Your body is just trembling. That doesn't mean anything. Hanguang Jun will heal you in a minute. Another step Si Zhui... Come on.'

"Lan Si Zhui...?"

The doubtful voice of senior Wei snapped Si Zhui out of his own encouraging thoughts. He saw Hanguang Jun and the disciple Jing Yi sent to get them with him as well.

"Hanguang Jun, senior Wei, Si Zhui was just like lady Li. He was all sweaty and then screamed himself awake. I told him to wait for you at his house, but he insisted on coming. No matter how many times I told him we should just go back and wait for you, he completely ignored me and kept going."

Jing Yi had been speaking to him? Si Zhui couldn't even remember hearing his voice. But, then again, he was so focused on making his legs move forward, his brain might have filtered everything else out.

"It is much closer to the infirmary from here." Wang Ji said. "Let's go there since you are already here. Lan Si Zhui, can you walk?"

"Yes, senior Wei."

"Si Zhui that's Hanguang Jun. Not senior Wei."

"It is okay. Do not talk and tire yourself anymore." Wang Ji said worriedly.