xix. i meet a seriously cool uncle

chapter nineteen

─── i meet a seriously cool uncle

          𝔄fter having travelled through the hedge and gates, we were surprised to find ourselves surrounded by flowers. All types, and even ones that my untrained eyes had never seen before. They were all in bloom, showcasing a plethora of colours that made my head spin, especially having just come out of the dark fog that felt like it was choking us.

"This doesn't look like the Underworld in the stories." I whispered quietly, not wanting to disrupt the peace. Birds flew overhead, rabbits hopped across the path and there were bees buzzing around the flowers. "This looks like the other place, Elysium?"

"It's not Elysium." Luke shook his head. "That's the place for heroes. It's not here, on earth."

"Do all heroes go there?" I asked quietly, still not wanting to raise my voice too loud.

"The best of the best," Luke eyes were wide, a small smile on his face as he watched it. "Everyone dreams of going to Elysium and the Isles of the Blest."

I hummed, before looking at my shoes, that still somewhat glowed though it was only faint.

"Come on, let's keep going." Annabeth urged, the four of us walking down the centre path. I'm not sure how long we were walking, because it felt like hours. Each place that we passed was filled with flowers, trees and vines. There were groves of fruit trees and forests of fir trees, there were vineyards and vegetable patches. 

It was like heaven and my mom would have loved it.

Turning, we found ourselves at two paths. One sloped down, towards an entry way to what looked like a well whilst the other lead upwards.

"Up is good." Luke nodded.

"Come on, goat boy." Annabeth grabbed Grover's arm, Luke on the other as I watched them with a small grin. That was before I tripped on a rock and face planted into the hard ground, cursing the feeling of gravel in my shoes. 

"Ow," I moaned, as Luke turned back to look at me.

"Clumsy much, Andi?" The familiar smirk was on his face as he reached down to offer me his hand. I scowled, reaching up to grab onto his fingers before I felt something on my legs. "Andi?"

"Luke!" I called, as whatever it was tightened around my ankle, yanking me away from them. "Luke!"

"Andi!" Whatever had a hold on me was tugging me downwards, towards the well. I tried to get whatever was on my legs, off, but nothing was there. I turned once more, before trying to catch onto something, hoping to slow down but nothing was working and I grew more panicked.