The One I Love Most

My vison sharpened and I looked at the familiar face of Klaus, who held worry in his eyes.

"Are you alright?" he asked again. "One moment you were running at Silas, then everything went dark, and suddenly, you were on the ground."

I rubbed my temples as he let me stand on my own, one hand still around my waist to bolster my weak legs.

There was a sting in my thoughts and the feeling of a gap in my memory, but I did recall running at Silas. Though I had been too late to stop his scheme and the witch had performed another spell.

I remembered the alternate reality, in which Klaus was no more, dead since Mikael had ripped out his heart centuries ago. I had forced Silas' witch to send me back in time.

Considering I was back in the original timeline, with Klaus by my side, I could safely presume my plan had worked. The gap in my memory confirmed this too - it was the same feeling I'd had the first time I'd time traveled.

Which left the question of how long I had been in the past, and what memories I had lost during my travel back to my present.

Were they lost forever? Or would I once again remember them at night, as flashing images in my dreams?

"How is this possible?"

I turned to the speaker. Silas. He was still here too, and more furious than ever.

"I know the spell worked! We were in another reality, with this bastard dead, how did you reverse the spell?" Silas growled.

I eyed him triumphantly. Yet again, I had beat him at his own game.

Silas snapped his fingers at the witch beside him. "No matter, I can always use the spell again, and this time I will make sure to kill you, so you cannot undo my efforts."

My smile faded. I had not taken into consideration that he still possessed the grimoire.

"Heather, repeat the spell!" Silas ordered.

Heather? That name sounded familiar though I could not grasp why.

The witch reached into a pouch to pull out the grimoire. As soon as she touched the book, I saw her eyes flicker, a sudden realization hidden behind her dilating pupils.

She blinked and dropped the book back into its cover.

"No," she said fiercely, her face hardened with purpose, "I will not do your biding again."

"What did you say?" Silas snarled. "You will do as I command!"

"You cannot force me!" the girl stood her ground. "I've done enough. Don't test me or you'll be sorry."

Klaus tilted his head to the side, confused by the witch's determination.

I, on the other hand, sensed a familiar bond to the girl. She reminded me of someone who lingered far away in my thoughts, a friend - no, someone I considered family.

"You're playing a dangerous game!" Silas warned, raising his fist. "I could kill you in a second."

The witch grinned. "Yes, you could, but you will not do that. I am the only one who can read this grimoire because it is written in my coven's secret code. You need me to perform the spell and I will not do it."

Silas was on her in a second, crushing her wrist with his hand until she shuddered with pain.

"Just because I cannot kill you, does not mean, I can't make you feel agony until you beg me to stop!"

I gritted my teeth and was next to them within the blink of an eye. Gathering my strength, I pushed Silas back and played with the veins underneath my eyes.

"Enough, Silas!" I said quietly. "You have failed time and time again, when will you learn you have no chance?"

He cracked his fingers and laughed. "What will you do about it?"

Behind me, I heard Klaus chuckle to himself. He was ready to step in if needed, but he would let me take this one by myself first.

"You would be surprised," I told Silas. "You have made a grave mistake, Silas, messing with me and my friends. And your biggest misstep was going after the one I love the most!"

My voice grew into a yell as I gestured towards Klaus.

"Klaus is a force to be reckoned with for sure, and I am no angel either. Even apart, we're strong, but together? We are indestructible! And you knew that, which is why you tried to rip us apart!"

A door creaked open and out stepped all my friends and my mother, ready to fight Silas. Our enemy had narrowed his eyes and was calculating possibilities.

If he lifted so much as a finger against me, Klaus would not hesitate. If he tried something against the hybrid, I would not show him kindness either.

There was no way in hell, I'd lose Klaus again.

"Unfortunately for you," I continued, "you did not pull us apart, but brought us closer together."

Silas' eyes twitched around. It was clear, he finally recognized his plan would not work. Whatever he tried to rid himself of the Original, it would fail.

We had won this fight, and he needed time to recess if he wanted to win his war. He knew this just as well as I did.

And so, he vanished. He left the witch behind and scattered.

"I always knew you were a queen," Klaus said behind me. I turned to face him, a smile on my lips.

I did it, I silently rejoiced, I saved Klaus and defeated Silas' plan.

"What did he mean by another reality with me dead?" the hybrid asked, but I shook my head no. I would tell him later. Now was not the time. There was still an unanswered question.

The witch slowly got up and reached for her grimoire.

Klaus, who had of course also noticed her movement, dashed over to her and took her by the throat.

To him, she was merely Silas' accomplice. He had little regard for her betrayal of the other man, and I could hardly blame him.

But as he lifted her up and stifled her, the girl's eyes found mine. They held answers - and they held something familiar I could not overlook.

"Klaus!" I rushed to him and grabbed his arm, pulling at it to make him stop. "Don't!"

My boyfriend looked at me and, without further questions, dropped the witch to the ground.

"Thank you," she croaked. To Klaus, she said, "Don't worry, I am not a threat anymore. I remember my mission, instilled by my ancestors before me. I am the one who shall fulfill my coven's calling."

"Your coven?" Elena asked, taking a step forward. "What is even going on anymore? What did Silas do and what is this girl rambling on about her ancestors?"

"I'm not sure," I admitted truthfully. "But I think, if anyone can explain it, it is her."

She nodded and clutched the grimoire to her chest.

"No question will be left unanswered, I promise! But first, I have a request. Niklaus Mikaelson, or the almighty as my coven calls you, can you please check your pockets?"